Monday, October 10, 2011

My love

"The mattress is so old meh?" I asked, amazed.
"Ya at least man" he said.

Didn't seem that long ago when the husband and I - as a boyfriend-girlfriend couple - purchased a brand new mattress for his room. I'd remembered it as a purchase just before we'd gotten married, but he remembers it as an item upgrade for his room, for us (the old one was rotting anyway). Either way, it led to the next question:

"How long have we been married?"
I say "3 & 1/2 years"
"How long have we been together?"
I think and say "6 years?"
"Wah. That's the longest I've been with anyone."
"Me too!" I say.

It's not the first time we'd had this boliao conversation but it still amuses me. And in this short/long period of time, the husband and I have accomplished pretty well. We had gone on travels aplenty while dating, we had fought and made up many times. We learnt to live with each other's weird habits through the years, and I still think my wedding proposal was one of the bestest in the world. Each time we go for a wedding, we still hold hands and feel each others' love, and I don't really know what he thinks about but I'm always brought back to our own special day and how happy I am that this man is mine.

The husband went for a wedding dinner without me yesterday, and typically, before he goes, he'll comment "so sian to go to weddings without you" and I echo his thoughts. I don't prefer to go to such loving occasions without him either. It's always a nice occasion to renew our love in a small way and always better to have each other around.

Once in a while, when we do things that are a blast from the past, it always feels strange yet familiar. For example, when the husband sent me up the lifts to my mom's when I decided to stay over some weeks back - was definitely before we got married that he last did so. Or when I spy a motorbike and remember his riding days where we were so much more swift on the roads (but also at the mercy of rain). And then there are the newer/recent activities - like visiting the PD with Kate, or purchasing a brand new mattress for our brand new home - which we do with such ease; and I like to think it is because we have both found a comfortable pattern of our new life together.

Talking through sensitive, awkward topics together; understanding each other when there is tension/unhappiness, just talking about random matters and agreeing with each other - always reminds me of how similar our values are which makes us love each other so; consulting each other on whatever matters that come our way, to get a valued opinion or simply to hear a different point of view.

It's the string of events lately that inspired me to post this entry about us, and I think no matter how much we love Kate and baby little; it wouldn't have been possible if there wasn't us.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment