Thursday, September 28, 2017

17 September, Kate turns 8

17 September. This date is very special, because it is the day that I birthed my first baby. Eight years ago on this date. OMG. Eight. Years. Already.


So... we usually always celebrate it with K, like her party last year, in 2015, her epic Elsa-themed birthday party when she turned 5, 4, 3 (we still have that bear), her special narnee-turned-up-at-her-party party, and her special 1.


This year, we downsized the party because we already informed her that Japan was part of her birthday treat; but we still planned small stuff for her special day. It lasted a whole weekend as we did small stuff with her from Friday through to Sunday (actual day).


Coincidentally, she had no school the Friday before her birthday so I brought her along with me to work.


Getting coffee with my lovely


This meant that she wasn't cooped up at home, I got to spend extra time with her; she managed some work and had some play time making new friends with other children who happened to be in the office on this non-school day too.

She requested for dinner at Haidilao, so I made arrangements for us to eat there on this Friday evening. While the children were not very interested in the food, the girl had her wish obliged with the crew singing her a birthday song loudly.

The Seahs celebrate K turning 8

Keeping in line with tradition of eating with the family, we decided to keep it simple and let her have whatever she wanted. No surprise she opted for junk food. It was a nice effort everyone made to turn up on this Saturday; and it was made special because (1) I scored some party hats - hah (2) we all indulged in eating fast food voluntarily (shudder) (3) everyone rocked up.
For posterity's sake, let it be known that it was the first time I tried the nasi lemak burger which is the current craze at McD.  

No birthday is complete without cake
On the actual day of K's birthday (Sunday), she spent most of the day with the grandparents. It happened to be moving day and it was pretty hectic. I barely saw her all day as she was playing/whatever with my mom, and one special moment worth mentioning was when Mom brought both kids over to our home unannounced. It was a surprise to see them amidst the busy day and the kids had a chance to take a walk-through (they ran) the mostly-vacant house. It was void of any furniture and it was quite a difference from how we lived in it.


It was only in the evening, finally, that our family was altogether over dinner; and a highlight was us bringing out a birthday cake for her. I am quite particular like that; that a birthday must be celebrated with cake.
Birthday cake for the birthday girl
While it was only our family at dinner, I made it a point to invite Godpa (on holiday in Amsterdam on this day) and the siblings (the sister + her busband were at Formula 1) to join in the birthday song and it warmed my heart to have people loving her from near and afar; bothering to sing those simple but meaningful celebratory words to this little girl that they have all watched grow up. As both my phones were used for facetime, I did not manage to capture the special moment, but my heart is full remembering that moment.


What a journey these 8 years have been; clicking the past 7 birthday celebrations definitely made me feel so blessed that I had enjoyed such precious years with this child.


Dear baby Kate, no matter how old you are, you will always be my baby. It can be challenging growing up, I know - for both you and me; but let's remember that we are both learning and growing each day and I will always love you no matter what.


I know it's not always fun for you, but let's remember that it's all to equip you with skills on this long road called life. You have definitely grown to become a witty, sometimes snarky girl; you have an infectious laughter and your arms and legs are so lanky I'm surprised you don't trip over yourself more. You have a beautiful button nose that I truly adore and your teeth are so big, I cannot wait to watch you grow into them. You are sweet and sensitive and you can be mature and so understanding that it breaks my heart at how soft you are inside.


Let's continue holding hands no matter how old you get, I hope you will always tell me silly stories no matter what age you are.


I love you baby girl.


Love forever, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment