Friday, January 24, 2014

Diapers no more!

Well, nearly.

So it's been years that Kate's been toilet-trained and she only wears her diapers at night time (she's fine to nap diaperless in the day). We've been too lazy (with Jake being such a poor sleeper, we really didn't have the energy or the desire to throw anything into the mix to make our poor sleep worse) and truly, getting Kate off diapers isn't a priority. The only remote mention of it is how we tell her she's a big girl and she ought to stop wearing diapers. All talk, no action.

Then on Monday, her diaper leaked.

Our routine is that she puts her diaper on after her night bath and something must have gone wonky and she wet her pants (she obviously knows how to use the loo but since her diapers are on...) Instead of putting on a new diaper, I don't know what got into me but I told her to take off her soiled pants and just put on a new pair - without a new pair of diapers.

I told her that she should try sleeping without diapers because she's a big girl already... and the elements in the universe must have been aligned at that point because she did as she was told. (To those who aren't parents, you do not understand how something as simple as the child obeying without resistance or fuss is like striking lottery, or better!)

And so it began. I took precautions such as asking her to use the loo before going to bed, and I put a waterproof sheet beneath her bum. On the first night, I could tell she was kinda worried because she tossed in bed for a bit and then woke up to use the toilet. We encouraged her and she did really well for 3 nights in a row.

Yesterday was her forth night and she had an accident; but we cleaned her up in no time and she went back to bed.

I recall her having a few wet accidents when she was training to nap in the day without diapers, and I am prepared for her to have a couple of accidents; but I am soooo proud of Kate and I know that she will be fully trained very soon.

So this, deserves an entry on its own because it is yet another milestone of my little firstborn.

So proud of you my original munchkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment