Friday, October 15, 2010

Dear Kate

Dear Kate,

The past 2 months have been quite a ride, a ratherly bumpy one really.

I guess the start of the ride was the point that you contracted HFMD and your first birthday party had to be downsized from XL to F, for Family-sized. All preparations for the party had to be cancelled/halted immediately. I now wonder what I'd do with the party decorations I've bought? You were your fiesty self despite the fever and spots, and safe for the occasional cries during milk-time - where I guessed your ulcers were causing you discomfort and pain - you were a trouper.

That's my girl - playful despite being spotty

You recovered within the expected period of 7 days. You probably don't appreciate it fully - yet - but someday, I hope you feel the love watching the exceptional video that Papa created for your birthday. I honestly think it is a super present; very meaningful & priceless.

I was then hit with a sick schedule at work, having to kick-start a massive campaign that saw me working late every night. For 3 weeks, I didn't reach home earlier than 10pm every single work night. I even had to go to work on a Saturday - I think you were pretty happy for the 3 hours that you were with Papa at the cafe whilst waiting for me to finish work.

At Starbucks @ Ogilvy Centre on a Saturday afternoon

Those intense weeks were tough, I spent more time at work than home, and that obviously translated into us having very little time together. I missed you then (though the truth is I miss you every time we are apart); but my consolation is that you are in good hands and is well looked after, I'm lucky that I'm able to therefore stay focused on my work and what I need to do.

There was one night where I chose to bring my work back home to do - thinking that I can at least see you before you went to bed - that kinda backfired as you refused to go to sleep when you did see me. My intention of saying goodnight to you and letting your Grandmother put you to sleep didn't materialise - you cried and insisted that I be with you, and I ended up putting you to sleep - and crashing out together as I was so tired! I was very touched that you missed me too.

Five days ago, we were hit by yet another curveball. Your temperature suddenly shot up, hitting an all-time high of 39.5 degrees celcius! This began yet another stretch of sleep-deprieved, stressful and worrisome days. It pains my heart to see you vomit (once), have diarrhea (several times, at least count it's 3 times per day) and constantly run a temperature. You seem terribly reliant on the fever medication, as the temperature creeps up everytime you approach the end of the 5th hour (meds to be taken every 6-hourly). You still detest the soy-based milk, but you're still eating well so I'm pleased. This morning was the third time in 5 days that we've visited the PD. His diagnosis is optimistic, but there seems little we can do except 1/ wait for the results of your stools that we've sent out for lab-tests; 2/ allow your body to keep fighting the bug and recover in time.

Tired baby

The recovery process is slow and cannot be rushed, and I can only pray that you become stronger than ever at the end of it. I really wish you'll get well soon, dearest Kate. It truly pains my heart that you are unwell.

You're the joy and love of our lives, darling Kate. I now understand (better) humility, unconditional love, patience; I have matured and grown up so much in the time that you are part of my life. You make me a better, stronger person. Our journey together has been short but meaningful, and I hope you feel the love that we all shower upon you.

You are growing up to be a lovely girl, very strong and obstinate at times, highly responsive and fun all the time, and an absolute doll. I love to hear you laugh, and you learn so quickly! Quick to imitate actions and sounds that you see and hear. Your vocabulary and expanded to include Chinese words now (mao mao - cat)! You are still not very clear in the pronunciation of the words, but you're trying and it's fantastic seeing your earnest attempts. My favourite word of all time has got to be Mama (of course!). You say it so sweetly, and it never fails to melt my heart. Yiyi recently took a series of pictures of you and your hair. I'm pleased that it's growing out nicely.

Bath hair

You're able to walk now, but you're still very cautious and not daring to do so on your own, preferring your hands to be held. But there's no hurry, I like to think that sometimes it's good to think and move with caution; perhaps, there is a more quiet, calm side to you afterall.

We'll always be there for you, supporting you

As you approach your 13-month mark, Papa will be away. I hope he will be safe and in 3 weeks' time, our little family will be reunited and happy again. I hope my work schedule will allow me to be with you every single night in his absence, so that we can catch up on lost time. Mommy has been going through much changes in my life too, and I hope that the decisions made are the right ones. I know everything will be well, as there is monumental support from friends, family and especially Papa. I also always have you in my mind, and you are my biggest motivation.

Cheeky, toothy baby

Happy 13-month old, my dearest baby. I love you.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment