Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Flying off on the red-eye, 8-9 Jun

The husband and I have been terribly busy. Things at work has been hectic (to say the least) and a week before we were due to fly, I discovered that I had even messed up the leave dates that I applied! Thankfully, a week is manageable enough to plan for work and apply for leave properly. In short, I had thought we would be flying off on Thursday evening (past midnight) when in actual fact, it was Wednesday evening (midnight of Thursday) instead. Oops.


I thank my forward-planning self for kicking in, and despite still being busy and tired, I took the winter clothes out a week before to wash (after being in storage for more than a year since our last Winter trip to USA), and started packing the bags for the kids. It took me over two nights to pack and re-pack for 3 of us. On the night we were to leave, the husband and I were still very busy - to the point that when we had originally planned to be home for dinner to leave for the airport by 930pm.... we both arrived home from work at 915pm!


Thankfully, nothing drives efficiency as much as adrenaline and by 10pm, we were off! (The husband literally spent that 45minutes packing for himself and preparing to leave the home.)


Heading to the counters


The kids had been fed, dressed and all psyched to go on the plane. I was tired from a long day, but slightly excited (it was a holiday after all!) and terribly hungry - I had not had my dinner yet. We realised upon check-in that we had forgotten to apply for our entry permits (oops) but thankfully this could be done instantly and after we settled that, the husband had to settle another errand of our mobile wifi router, while I took the kids and headed to the gates first.


The usual mothering was needed of filling up the hot water flash in preparation of milk for the night, changing the boy to his pyjamas and diapers so he'd be ready... by this time it was already 11.30pm.



Boarding!

The red-eye with excited children and over-tired parents was not the best idea. The 5-hour flight meant that the meal was served in the middle of the morning at 3am (which I woke up for to eat because I was famished), that K, the husband and I had barely any sleep from settling in from midnight to 3am... the only person who had probably about 3+ hours of sleep was J.

Besides being terribly zoned out from lack of sleep, we were pretty ok, I guess. Arrival at 530am meant that the airport was not busy and we cleared customs relatively quickly. We then spent the next hour at the airport being very very cold, waiting to pick up our rental vehicle and managed to grab some (yucky) hot coffee and coffee and some snacks from the café.

We were set to drive to our friend's home, our 'home' for the next few days while we were in Western Australia. Thanks to the husband's great driving skills, and the indispensable GPS, we arrived at 'home' by 730am.


Touchdown.
Hello holiday, hello Perth!

No comments:

Post a Comment