Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Blessed : timely reminders

The organization has a department that organises sessions with children in a community outreach manner. Since I joined, I have made it a point to participate in at least 1 activity a year. It is a personal desire to help and volunteer, to do my little part to spread joy. Each time, it's been a different type of activity and different experience; but always fulfilling.


This year, the event was to spread joy at the children's hospital. Task is simple: we go there to distribute get-well-soon cards along with toys, as a little form of encouragement to brighten up the children's day. To make it even more exciting, we also go as mascots so the children can take pictures and keep as mementoes. While only the children receive gifts, it's fair to say that staff also feel joyous as they get to snap pics with our mascots too! It's heartening to know that the hospital believes that every staff - from cleaners, to nurses, to parents and patients - everyone deserves to take a pic if they wish to.


I had little expectations of the afternoon, but given that I'd never been a mascot before, I thought it's quite a fun opportunity to be one. So I did.


Transforming to a superhero!

My 'head' was so high I couldn't wear it while walking,
as I wasn't able to cross over the door.

Team volunteers

Spreading joy

Being a mascot was not easy, because it was hot. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat, because the joy and excitement as I hear - children and adults alike - "Batman!" - makes it all worthwhile.


I found it heartbreaking too, to witness the children in wards. There were all types, from those who had a fractured arm (temporary stay) to those who had more serious conditions (longer-term stay) - and it was hard seeing them warded.


I am reminded of the times where my children were warded before, and how such little activities could really make their day. I am also reminded that my family is blessed to not have to be in hospital, and I am so thankful for good health.


I truly hope that the short afternoon spent there brought a spark to the children and their parents (plus the staff) and made their day brighter. I cannot express how thankful I am to have the experience, to be privileged to spread joy.


I have so much to be thankful for. Amidst my own muddiness, it's important that I tell myself that I am truly, truly blessed. This is a timely reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment