Monday, October 23, 2017

#babysisterturnsadult

My earliest recollection of you was when you were a baby. A teeny one whom I loved to smother, because who doesn't love the small of baby youth? You were so adorable and it was like I had a mini toy that moved, batteries not included. 


Then we all grew up and I became a selfish teen. No one has time for baby sisters when we have liftepriorities like... well, you know, superficial stuff #truth I recall you trailing the brother mostly, as you became his sidekick and even though you were my responsibility as I had to chaperone you to go to school together, I have little memories of those days except of you reminding me / claiming that I was a bully (it is called training you to buy your own food please).
Fast-forward to me being a grown-up (well, 20s was a big deal when you have never been in your 20s before) and it still seemed that you were little. Even my friends who were close also always remembered I had a little sister. 


That little sister dished out sagely advice to me as I struggled through a rough patch in my life. How did those wise words come from this little youngling? I was then 24, she was 17. We then led close but separate lives as I continued to find myself in my life, and unknowingly, she found herself too. The years apart seemed very short as I think back now, but she established friends, found her faith and blossomed into a young lady.


When I got married at 28, she seemed still so little - the pictures prove this as she looked still like a big-little girl. When the sister graduated from uni, she came home and that coincided with the birth of our first grandchild in our home. Then started the beginning of how we truly became friends, I think. As much as we were at different phases of our lives, we started reconnecting as adults because (1) we were both in Singapore (2) we started doing more things together as a family unit (3) we get along like two peas in a pod (4) we started (over the years) to travel together (5) despite not living together, our undeniable sister-bond was real.


And, like they say, the rest is history.


I will never ever change anything in the world for our family, and I am thankful that I have a fellow sister who can help me pull this family together through our greedy shenanigans, our siblings-together-ings, and I always have someone watching my back and be there to laugh at/with me at anything/everything in this world.


Happy birthday sister, I love you.


The sister turns 30


1 comment:

  1. "it was like I had a mini toy that moved, batteries not included." -.-" thanks meh

    hehe thank you (':

    and. just for the record, one of the reasons i chose to come back was because of kate ! xo maybe that's why i will always be favourite yiyi.

    hehe love you muchly xoxo muchly muchly muchly !

    ReplyDelete