Tuesday, January 5, 2016

First day of school 2016

It didn't seem too long ago that we were at the Primary One orientation; yet here we are waking up in the dead of the night (ok, I exaggerate. It's 630am on this first day of school as school started at 8am. Only the first day!) After breakfast and all the usual to-dos, the husband and I drove her to school together. Traffic was smooth and we managed to make it to school on time (phew).  

My little kimgek and I in the school courtyard
We led her to class together, and sat her down in a random seat.

Paying attention already - great sign!
 
We had to leave the classroom so that the teacher can get on with what she needed to do (she politely invited us to leave if we had no questions to ask) and like the obedient co-operative parents that we are, we did.



Not before we took a family pic together!

While I sat through a session with information on parent volunteers, the husband headed to work. I was thankful that I had girlfriends to sit with and chat. Before long, it was recess time at 9.40am. The school had cordoned off an area at the perimeter of the canteen so that parents may see their child, without interrupting with the child's routine at school. It felt rather barbaric that we had to peer from the sides and it was a madhouse! It took me more than 20minutes to locate K and when I finally did, it was pure happiness!


Spotted!

It was very endearing that she was craning her neck to look at me too and I felt very loved, and I hoped she felt too. Being the independent girl that she is, I'm sure that she would be fine. Yet seeing her like a little-big girl does pull at my heartstrings and I feel as if she is, afterall, little. I also knew she was anxious because she had expressed her anxiety while on the way to school and we assured her that it's normal to feel excited and nervous all at once, because this was a new adventure. I felt very proud of her though, and while she was looking out for me, she still seemed fine and I remind myself that she is in a great environment which will train her to be a fine young lady.


Yay I got to see her upclose!
 
After recess at 10.15am, I made my way out from primary school and headed towards kindergarten to see my little boy. When I arrived, it was assembly and I stood by the sidelines watching this little boy who was standing so confidently, singing along. It took him a while to notice me and when he did, his smile was amazing.

My little big boy
I stayed only for a while, as there was little for me to check on - I managed to kiss him and say goodbye before the husband came to brighten his day too by checking in on him - and sent me home.
 
Being on leave, I was able to pick both children up.
 

Love this pic of us!

Mommy will always be behind you both, supporting and guiding you
whereever you go, my babies.
 
I felt a bunch of emotions as I spent this first day of school with these babies. I know that they are growing up and I know that I need to adjust my own expectations of them and myself too. It is amazing how quickly they become independent and I know that they will be fine.
 
I asked K, especially how school was, because the change is so much greater for her with changes in everything from school bus, to school, to environtment and routine; being the champion she is, she responded with a smile and thumbs up! As for J, he's always been a confident little chap and as expected, he rose to the occasion like the strong little soldier he is.
 
So proud of them for being so brave in embracing their new school life in 2016!



1 comment:

  1. her bag is so giant compared to her :(
    sniff. big girl kate. love you lots ! from your fav yiyi.

    ReplyDelete