Friday, March 17, 2017

Being 36.. for one last day

I guess it's timely that my birthday falls about the end of the first quarter of the year, and a good time for me to take stock of how the year has been going. Truly, it's been a great start to 2017. I'm loving it!


Work
As much as we say work is 'merely' work, I have allowed it to interfere with my life/state so much before that I was utterly miserable when it wasn't going well. Thankfully, I have emerged from that foggy period stronger, and more confident to tackle new challenges. Work has settled into a busy but manageable pace now, and I am trying to keep a balance on workload/stress and keeping my mind open to feedback, new ideas and learnings.


Emotional state
This painful episode triggered by work has brought to my attention the power of network support from family and friends, as well as signs and symptoms for me to take note of so that I can manage the downward spiral. I am an emotional creature and it is very dangerous to wallow in it. Through the years, I have learnt to better manage my emotions (sometimes) but it's shocking how I felt when I was down. I felt utterly gutted and the intensity of that low shocked me. I'm also learning to take things more easily too.
Kids making a mess? Pack it up, no sweat.
Things not on schedule? Take a deep breath and keep going.
My plans are not on track? Be flexible and get on with the flow.
Why am I doing (insert matter)? Understanding/reminding myself of the value of what I am doing puts things into perspective.


Of course, not everything is a bed of roses nor plain-sailing.
Do I still lose it with the kids over petty matters? Yes.
Do I get frustrated and yell? Yes.
Can I do better? Of course.


Knowing that things are not always 100% keeps it real, and knowing that I can keep going and do better always is key.


Giving thanks and appreciation
I have been pretty good/mindful at giving thanks. I am aware that I have plenty of good stuff in my life and I am thankful for them. A new thing I am trying to practise, is being appreciative. Appreciating that it takes effort for something to happen/someone to do something. Appreciating that it is the effort and not entirely the outcome that matters always. Appreciating the lovely skies we see, not taking that for granted. Appreciating the help we receive. The definition of giving thanks is similar to gratitude, but a slight difference in nuance is that we assess the true worth of the matter and in doing so, bring deeper awareness in merely giving 'thanks'.


Another key subject matter of being appreciative and thankful for, is my family. Recent events on the home-front has given an elevated reminder on mortality, relations and how important each and every member is, whether it is big occasions, or random meals; or just serendipity sightings... 


I will never wish to take the family for granted; and I am so thankful for each of their love and care.


Partnership
A big part of my life is the husband. He has been pretty busy and I hope I play the role of supporting him as a wife and mother to our children well. I am aware of how precious our relationship is, and how important it is to maintain it through communication.
Sounds simple? Not really. Being together takes work and I know that we are in this together. It's the little things that make up the big stuff and every little bit of action matters. Having a meal together on V-day no matter how it didn't go as planned. Celebrating Lunar New Year as a family unit with friends and loved ones. Getting sick from the children's bugs and working together to take care of them and nurse them to being healthy again. Having him annoy yet crack me up. Sharing common experiences to add on to our memory banks.


We celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary in a few week's time and I am still in love with this man.


Staying fit
Of course, my life is not complete without working out & I am happy to say that I have kept on track with this fitness journey. I lost it slightly the 2nd half of last year with holidays, slothy eating habits and a slight loss in motivation. With the signing up of the gym last December, I was able to insert freshness into my workout regimes; I have renewed my interest in using weights and machines and attend classes at the gym.


I still practise yoga. I still run. I try to keep active and involve the children. I feel as strong and fit as ever!


It's been a good start to the year and I look forward to more goodness. I turn 37 super soon and I know it'd all be fine. To end off (cannot stop being emo/ reminiscent!), here are some lovely, lovely flashbacks of the children thanks to FB memories. I have nearly forgotten how tiny the children once were...


2012 - dark and fair, grumpy and smiley

Mar 2012 - giggles, this cracks me up

2010 - my little fishball firstborn!

2012 - loving moments between these 2,before the squabbles...

2013 - cheeks.
So much to be thankful and happy about. So ready to celebrate my birthday for another year of life ahead. -inserts muscular emoji-

No comments:

Post a Comment