Saturday, March 25, 2017

My birthday weekend, version 2017

So, I turned 37 last Saturday. Took me a while to get to documenting this as it has been a busy week. Not hectic, just busy. I did have a lovely birthday weekend and I am going to write it down so I can refer to it when I forget details of it next year! #goldfishmemory


Eve of birthday, Friday, 17 March
It starts with drinks with the BFFs on Friday evening.
The twin (BFF who shares the same birthday) discovered a Gin o'clock event at the Conrad and signed us all up. Why not? I had little expectations (I just wanted to eat and drink) and it turned out pretty nice.







Gin for 1, please!
I wasted little time in getting my weekend started. I took out my book and waited comfortably for my friends to join me. Over the course of the next 2 hours, everyone in our little 'party' turned up. The husband was the special-est guest who rocked up last - hah!




The original trio


A party is a party when we have cake and candles!

That night, I tried different cocktails of gin which was pretty interesting, chit-chatted with the girls, appreciate the time that everyone took out to attend the little sesh - especially as the husband told me he was dog-tired and was this close to not turning up (gasp) - he did, which was what mattered. It's also always nice to have this close group of friends gather and make merry.


Besides tasting different types of gin among the crew, the boys created some self-entertainment called "how quickly can you drink a pint of beer?"  That livened spirits up aplenty and provided positive responses between the drinkers and audience!


The night ended after we were all stuffed - with gin, bar snacks, beer, jelly cake and love.


Actual birthday, Saturday, 18 March
The day's regular routine goes on. So that morning, we had breakfast and the boy had class. I enjoyed some leisure time with the bestie and the daughter... we then had plans to bring the kids out to play. Bonus moment was lunch guest my mother who came out to town to join us for the meal. After a simple lunch, our original plan of heading to Art Zoo was foiled because, too hot! The mother was smart to have made her exit before we headed out to the sun.


We then foraged head-in to the IT fair unknowingly (oops) but it all kinda worked out when we managed to find a place for the kids to have fun, while the adults managed to sit so hoorah. It was 2-hours of play in this indoor playground called Cool de Sac at Suntec City.

Queuing up to get painted

Dressing area

Cowabunga!

Rainbow face

Playing dress-up

Besides the usual indoor playground type of activities available, there were also different zones (dress-up, as seen above), and an electronic zone (wii type of games), and artistic expression (painting).

Boyband - first time seeing the boy dance!

This sweetheart dedicated a message too me :)
Before I knew it, it was 530pm! I had originally needed to head home by this time to get ready for my dinner date but oops - thankfully, the husband pushed back the appointment by half an hour; plus the bestie offered us a ride home. Hooray! That made things a lot easier for me (getting a cab would have been impossible because, IT show!) and I really appreciated this simple act of kindness #bestfriendsarebest


When we got home, the girl then presented me with my birthday card. I like how she had thought to do so, and appreciated the level of craft. It's so simple, the words, and I see how she prioritises Mommy, Papa, love and her (uh, need to work on including the lil brother!)


Crafted card from my 6+yo firstborn
The boy came up to me and said, "Mommy, I did not do a card for you. But it's ok". Hah, the confidence (& cheek) of this boy!


The last part of the evening was dinner. Best part of this dinner, was the effort the husband made. He told me a week before that he'd made plans for us - unprompted. Such little acts of service can mean so much, and I am truly grateful. (I knew of it when I asked the husband if we should plan dinner, so what a pleasant surprise I received to know that he had taken care of it!)


On the drive out, he asked if I knew where we were going. Truth be told, I had not thought about the venue, because I was so taken by the fact that he had made the effort to begin with. On the spot though, I could articulate my thought process of what we could be eating quite clearly, and I got it right! We were going to try Cut for the first time.


The husband and I love to eat and experience new places together, so I could not have asked for a better gift - for him to plan the dinner and to enjoy this new experience with him.


Starters of seafood-cocktail + marrow & mushroom
We had starters, salad, meat and some potatoes. I thought the wine tasted pretty nice as accompaniment, enjoyed the meat and favourite part was the dessert!


Happy birthday to me!

Close-up of our desserts - Anniversary ice-cream (caramel vanilla + passionfruit. So yum)
+ chocolate soufflé that oooooooozed. MMmmmmm
The experience was pretty decent, and the ambience was fine. It was one of those dark-oaky type of feel with men dressed up to serve. It reminded me somewhat of our dining experience at this steakhouse at New York, New York hotel in Las Vegas, where I had one of the most amazing experience eating a cow (both in terms of the type of meat, and the amount of steak I ate. No kidding)

The novelty was great and interesting, made sweeter with the customised birthday and anniversary (1 week early) wishes... all made perfect with the company of my loving partner.


Spoilt is me.

That evening, we witnessed a proposal of a couple at the table behind us, and it made me smile knowing how much they had ahead of them; and thankful at how far the husband and I have made it. He's kept to his promise of giving me a birthday cake every year since 2005... thank you for spoiling me, my love.


We did not manage to finish all the food because we were so stuffed, and we finished off the late night with a stroll along the bay area watching lights and people strolling by, buskers and amusing youths taking pictures (did you know, it takes 5 to snap a pic?) and also a silent disco (everyone wore headphones and bounced to their own music led by 3 different types of deejays. ?!?)


We came home to sleeping children, and I felt that though I did not have a birthday song and cake with my children, I balanced the day well with the family members, friends and my mother. I am so blessed!


The day after, Sunday, 19 March
The traditional #foofubs meal was on this day due to busy commmitments; and regardless of when we met, it's important that we did so hooray! Venue was Kith, a restaurant I had heard of but never tried. They served decent, tasty breakfast meals... I may go try their super salad next time. The meal was typical where we all chit-chatted, with the children yelling over everyone... and the Dad expressing himself after his recent health scare. I remember sitting in my seat, looking at each and every person present at that table and feeling so thankful for each of them. People come into your lives for reasons and I know that the 10 of us are #perfectten because of how we all contribute ourselves in one way or other, because family.


Year on year, I become increasingly aware and mindful of how time is flying by, how the parents are ageing, how the siblings are no longer younglings but well-established young adults leading their respective lives... and for each of us to want to come together because we love one another means the world to me. I do not wish to take anything for granted, and it is so lovely to have everyone present, dedicating their time to the family (heh, and me).


Seah-mily
#PERFECT10
That night, the husband and I finished the evening with some drinks at home and I felt so loved from the amazing, fun-filled weekend of birthday celebrations.


Happy 37 to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment