Monday, February 16, 2015

Day 3 - Venice Beach, saying goodbye and the Lakers game

We all awoke and started to prepare for the day. We'd wanted to hit the beach, Venice Beach. By the time we washed up and stepped out, it was mid-morning. It was noon by the time we made the drive there. I was dying for a coffee but didn't get my fix. Instead, we were welcomed by a dancing/athletic troupe of dancers. We didn't quite expect the performance to take that long (nearly an hour?) but it was just part of going with the flow, with no plans.

Beautiful weather, beautiful friend.
It got really hot with the sun beating down mid-day and I think everyone got a tan. Didn't help that we were sitting on the ground with no shade at all, just soaking in the day.

Watching the street show
I found my shade hiding in front of the standing audience

After the show ended, we paid our dues then headed for munch. We found a little cafe that served chinese food - hooray! Everyone was pretty happy. After filling our tummies while not being attacked by pigeons, we strolled to hit the beach - something the kids were all looking forward to.

Cool winds, hot sun, girl on swings
My baby and I
Sandplay
Venice Beach, LA

Us - K was holding a bag, collecting shells
It was very relaxing to be on the beach, soaking in the sunshine and relaxing. I wished I was more appropriately dressed (jeans and slippers and a t-shirt felt too much and it was too hot) but it still felt so nice, just being there, people watching. I watched the girls have fun with each other and marvelled at how they are being friends, just like her Wai and I were. It felt surreal, as I was taking in all the goodness of the world at how good my life is. It was a good moment. 

Time came for us to pack up, dust off the sands and head to the airport to send Wai and her baby off. Goodbyes were said quickly and efficiently as they were dropped off, but tears welled up in my eyes as I hugged and kissed them goodbye. I hope to see them again, really soon. The time together felt so good, so right as if nothing has ever changed between us and perhaps, it hadn't. 

So, after this, the husband drove us to Citadel Premium Outlets. We wanted to start shopping, but didn't accomplish much. Perhaps it was the rush, the unfamiliarity of the big place, but I spent a good amount of time in the loo with my son who was still having the runs. He wasn't too grumpy though so that helped. I bought some kids' clothes and the husband secured some new luggages. We then made our way to our next planned activity - basketball!

We'd purchased our tickets way before, and I felt excited to catch a basketball match live. 

Queuing up to go in

First sight of the court
Initial excitement
The game
Our seats were pretty high up in the stadium and everyone below looked tiny. The Lakers didn't play too well either which was a bummer. The highlight for me was probably knowing that Denzel Washington was in close proximity! His face popped up on the screens when the cameras were panning about the audience. Hah.


Jetlagged and tired, and obviously bored

We didn't finish the match and stepped out in the last quarter. We then made our way back to the car, and drove back to the hotel where we'd be spending our last night. It was a good home for us, spacious enough to house Wai and her baby too; but it was time for us to pack up and leave. The husband and I tried to pack up... but hit the sack. We were ready to leave the next morning to move on to the next leg of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment