Thursday, May 28, 2015

Expressing frustration in writing

Last night, was a typical night where the kids were watching TV, and arguing over which channel they want to watch (this recently happened when the girl figured out how to switch channels on the remote) and came a moment where they disagreed and started to squabble. I tried to mitigate but they were still fighting and in a fit of frustration, I said that they were both not allowed to watch TV anymore; because they cannot come to a common agreement (I apply the same rule when they cannot share something. You fight? No one gets it.)

So anyway, the girl started to act up and acted very bratty, making a big deal of needing to switch channels and began to cry. I did not agree with how she was behaving and sent her to her room. 

She was not happy, to say the least; stomping away and yelling and crying very loudly

I tried to not let her bother me, and continued to sit with the boy who was - as usual - calmly going on with his life. 

When we were done with TV time, we proceeded to story-book time. The noise had stopped from the room; and I asked the boy to invite his sister to join the story-telling session if she wanted to. He goes to the room and comes back alone, saying "no, she don't want."

Okay.. so we started to read and after one page… she stomps out. With a book in her hand. She hands it to me and simultaneously weeps,"I am very sad, MOMMY….."

From my baby girl

I hugged her and asked her to calm down, and we started to read the book. By the end of the story, she was fine. I then told her that I sent her off because she was crying for no reason and it was not necessary. I understood that she was sad, but I'm glad that we managed to resolve it.

Sometimes, I really want to laugh at my child's antics, but she is such an amazingly sensitive and emotional child that I totally see myself in her. She has never resorted to writing like this before, though I also very seldom send her off to calm down (it's usually the boy who gets sent to naughty corner for his antics). Maybe this is one way for her to regain her composure than losing it.

Oh my sweet child, let's grow up on this journey together. I love you so much baby Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment