Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Just keep running...

So this happened as of this morning: 95 runs, 637.4km



It's been 45 runs since I last tracked my run progress here. That run was dated in September last year, about 10 months ago which works out to be about 4.5runs per month, which is about once a week. Still pretty alright, but it is less than my record last year where I ran 371.4km in 9 months (Jan - Sept 2014), versus 265.6km in 10months (October 2014 - July 2015). I guess it does make a difference when I was training for something, versus not (I ran my two half-marathon in December 2013 and June 2015). Before using this Nike app, I recorded my runs with a different app - my 2013 fitness journey here.

While I have tried to keep running, I am aware that it's not as much as before. Instead, and I'm not sure why I have not put it on record; but I started yoga about 10 months ago (last September). It started off as a visit to class for Ashtanga Yoga with a friend. I ended up signing up for 4 classes, and attended classes regularly for 3 months. During this period, I discovered a different form of exercise that made me work out in a different way from running. Three months later of practising at home, my kids have also picked it up. In the past 10 months, I had been practising Ashtanga at home and while it has been months since I last went to class, I had continued to practise myself (note to self: I do need to go again to pick up more moves plus have the instructors correct my poses) and the marked difference I feel in my body is how my arms especially are toning up. I also felt that yoga was a softer impact form of exercise that helped to balance my muscles which have been very used to being tight with loads of running. I enjoy yoga. 

Then in the past weeks, I started experimenting with home exercise videos. There are tons of workouts on the internet and they have all sorts of workouts that focus on different body parts, that comes in different lengths from 10minutes to 1.5 hours; and it's quite a nice change to work-out with these videos. I also embarked on a different type of workout that relies mostly on body weight about two weeks back, and that's been quite a challenge to my body so far. I feel myself aching all over in parts that I never knew existed. 

So what next? I think I'm in a good space now - I have a mix of workouts that focus on different types of strength and parts of the body; it also mixes up my days so that it is not boring. 

So, onward we go, on this fitness journey


No comments:

Post a Comment