Monday, February 29, 2016

Jake turns 4! - a 4-part celebration

Jake's birthday celebration spread over not one, not two, but three days. It happened by chance.
 
After announcing every morning (since Monday last week) that "today is a normal day", this little boy was thrilled when Friday finally came. He knew it was "my birthday!" and was ready to celebrate!
 
Birthday celebration part 1 - celebrations at school and the trampoline park
Because this was in school, we did it on a school-day. We got him dressed - in his 4yo t-shirt (thanks favourite yiyi) and sent him to school. In the car, he was literally bouncing up and down with excitement. At drop off, he proclaimed, "I'll see you later Mommy! You go take the cake right?" and headed off happily. He also announced to anyone he saw while walking to class "today is my birthday!" The husband and I proceeded to have yummy noodles for breakfast (burp) and picked his cake up before heading back to school for the mini celebration. 
 
SUPERHEROS
 
There was another birthday in his class the same day, so there were two kids dressed in their party clothes (because they are special).

Little children.
After singing a birthday song and distributing the cake then eating it, we brought Jake out from school. He'd requested to go to the trampoline park, and we obliged.

Walking to play
 
I'd arranged for some friends to join us and it was quite a sweaty, bouncy hour spent as 4 of us bounced away. It was fun and I was so sweaty and I think I twanged my back from the vigorous activity =_=

The boys and I

My adorable 4 year-old

After the trampoline park, we all headed to have Japanese for lunch. The afternoon was spent napping. Then we headed out for dinner at the club.

Birthday celebration part 2 - J's actual birthday - no classes and movie night
I had cancelled his class for that day, so that he could play all day. So that morning, we all headed out to accompany K for her class. (He used to come out with us to the mall always, until he started chinese class. Though his class is in the afternoon, I stopped bringing him out with me in the day so that he can clock a nap and feel recharged before class in the afternoon. Otherwise, he gets cranky and I don't think he'd learn well in class.)

So, this day, since it was his birthday, he got to come out and we spent the morning  having breakfast, and playing. I also bought him a toy he picked for himself - a fooseball table.
 
After lunch, we headed home for a nap. And for dinner, birthday boy got what he wanted - Maccas.

Birthday dinner request fulfilled

A bonus affair happened, when a friend bought him a surprise gift! (Surprise to him, and to us too *insert gasp face)

GASP
 
Mini professionals
Being his actual birthday, he had to have a cake.

4
 
Making a wish

Poooofftt

Cutting cake is serious business

Family

Movie night - Toy Story 2

The children were tired and we didn't finish the movie, but it was still a nice and easy day spent altogether. Sometimes, simple celebrations are best.
 
Birthday celebrations part 3 - the bowling party
My day was rudely started by someone poking my eyes (thankfully they were closed. Because I WAS SLEEPING). Did I mention that it was 6.30am?!
 
"Mommy, what time the bowling open?" - honestly, in my hazy state, I had thought it was K's face, but of course once my brain registered the question, I knew it was the excited boy.
 
Playing with his new toy
I spent the morning fulfilling errands, and unfortunately discovered that J was running a temperature. That really bummed us out, but after some meds and a nap, he seemed fine. We went ahead with our plans, though we were late (ugh, again).

SWAT - that's his birthday gift

Little friends
 
Happy birthday, baby boy

The afternoon was well-spent hanging with close friends and family, eating and bowling. I did not bowl, but the husband was apparently a hustler and won the match among my siblings and their plus-ones. It was a nice way to spend the weekend together!

Family - the closest group of people who truly matter

Through this series of preparations, I realise that no matter how 'low maintenance' a Mother I am, I still do try. And while the preparations are not difficult, every bit of help makes it easier. I'm thankful for family - who just turn up with no questions asked, who spoil my children because they care. I'm thankful for friends who just help because they can, and turn up to join in the fun. I'm thankful for my children, who drive me to be a better person. I'm thankful for my husband because no matter how elusive he is, he is still there. I'm thankful that the people who matter most are around, because sometimes, the other stuff like expectations, or work, or whatever, are part of life, but not all of it.

I'm also thankful at the lessons I learn through this little boy who is so thankful - his sheer joy at receiving gifts he fancies, his sheer elation at being able to spend time with us because we took him out from school, his happiness in being able to play bowling because he loves it so, his innocence and pride at being the centre of everyone's attention and being able to celebrate his birthday in all the joy and glory from the eyes of a four-year-old.

It was a great weekend. Happy birthday, baby Jake. Mommy loves you to the moon and back.

PS: Part 4 of his extended birthday celebrations continues this week, when we bring him on a holiday! More on that, soon! *glee

No comments:

Post a Comment