Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Paw Patrol (and my embarrassing "Papa Troll" moment)

The kids are pretty much independent in exercising their own TV time nowadays. They have learnt to switch it on, switch channels and they learn to fight/negotiate/choose the preferred programmes to watch. I admit, I used to be more vigilant of watching over them, but when it's school holidays like now, I'm more liberal and I then apply the "what I don't know won't hurt me" principle... after all, I am at work and how much of a helicopter can I be?
 
Some weeks ago, I was sitting in the living room with the children when they were - yes - watching TV. I asked them what their current favourite programme was.
 
K's reply did not surprise me, "Katie!" she said. Katie is a chef and her show is a culinary show where the participants are younglings who follow her simple recipe and instructions and produce decent end products of cooked/baked items. For K who's always been interested in baking/cooking, I can understand why this show appeals to her.
 
As for J, he enthusiastically told me his favourite show was "PAPA TROLL!" (Yes, he yelled it.) It took me a couple of times to try to figure out what he was saying... and I decided to search the WWW for what this programme is about because I had zero idea. A still image of some dogs popped up and "YES! THIS ONE! MY FAVOURITE!" yelled the little boy, while pointing to the picture. Ahhh, I thought. It was a picture of some doggies dressed in uniform (firesuit/ police outfit) and given his recent obsession interest in such occupations, I was also not surprised with his declaration.
 
It was not until a few days/weeks later, on another day when I happened to be in the living room while they were watching TV, that Jake yelled out "Mommy! THIS IS PAPA TROLL!"
 
I looked up and watched the introduction song of the show.. while the kids enthusiastically tried to introduce the doggie characters to me... and then the show name flashed on screen. It read "PAW PATROL". Oh boy, did I laugh. J doesn't know how to read, so he's been mimicking what he hears... papa troll... paw patrol.. to-may-toe... toe-mar-toe... I had to educate them of the right name of the show and while K successfully picked it up, J didn't seem to care too much. PAPA TROLL, he still says. And what really tickled/ticked me is how when I searched "papa troll", the same results came up! Oh well.
 
Anyhow, I learnt of Dora and her Friends performing at Suntec City and arranged a playdate to go watch and catch this.
 
Enraptured in the front row
 
Paw Patrol heroes - that's Marshall the firedog, and Chase the policedog.
 
Treat

Craft workshop
 
Happy with their handicraft backpacks

It was a simple day where the little friends and big friends got to hang out. What a nice Saturday spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment