Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Day 8: The flight back from Perth to Singapore



The alarm went off at 0245. I was bleary-eyed and felt that I had barely slept... sometime between snoozing, I knew that the husband came back and he finished the bottle of red that we had left. I like how we both shared a same bottle of wine... individually on our own. Haha.


So the husband and I got up first, and spent the next half hour ensuring that we have packed everything properly and made our way to the vehicle. Our car had served us well the whole week, and managed to house everything quite comfortably, truly a good investment.


The kids knew that it would be late/early start for them as we already prepped them so the night before, so they were both ready to rock and roll. We left the hotel and checked out as per our planned timing of 330am, and got to the airport by 430am. The roads were quiet, and the air was crisp - sad how once we had begun to get used to and enjoy the cold, we had to leave.

We went earlier because we wanted to clear returning the vehicle properly, and just well, not miss our flight. After checking in and settling the car return, we parked ourselves at a café for some food and coffee (for me).

My half-awake princess
After eating, and before going through the dates, I suggested that we head outside - to enjoy the weather one last time.

0530am, Perth International Airport

After that last burst of cool winds, we went in. The kids had some time to play in a tiny children's corner, while the husband and I continued to stone. It was pretty tiring... the flight took off on time, as scheduled at 6am and here's a last pic of us on-board the flight.

 








Seahs coming home

The children were suitably perky by this time and asked to play with the video games, as well as watch TV. K stayed awake pretty much the whole journey and was independently playing with the controls 80% by herself. I managed to find one movie I liked enough to finish watching. K also stayed up for breakfast... and J did too until he fell asleep with a half-eaten sausage on a fork in his hand. The husband drank himself to a suitable state and K did doze off for an hour or so after breakfast. I think I snoozed collectively for 60minutes throughout the entire flight.

When we arrived, it was noon in Singapore and we were greeted by the hot, humid weather instantly. It always feels special going to the airport, and returning to it - different feelings each time. After doing some duty free shopping, we were ready to head home.



Touchdown on homeground

We took a taxi home in the hot, hot afternoon and we spent the rest of the afternoon vegetating away. The husband, K and I headed out for lunch while the boy crashed to catch up on his sleep. There was no time difference, so I didn't feel jet lagged, but the late nights had taken a toll and it felt comfortable and refreshing to be home.


It's been an amazing week with the family, refreshing ties with our friends in a foreign land and just living in a home away from our own home.


My reflections of the holiday:
  • The children are old enough to enjoy themselves and expressing what they want to do. After travelling on this many occasions, they are pretty good travellers, I must say.
  • The children are very fortunate to be this exposed to travel, cultures and experiences. I'm glad that the husband is always so open and willing to bring them along.
  • I ate non-stop. Besides that first night when I was starving, I more than made up for it by eating at every opportunity the rest of the trip!
  • We drank heartily. Not necessarily in terms of the amount that we drank (ok, that too) but also more of the timings that we drank. We had drinks in the daytime, afternoon time, night time and pre-bed time. Ah, the makings of a holiday.
  • Am so thankful for friends who housed us and made plans for us on the trip. That really made it so much easier for us to follow and just let things happen.
  • Picnics are the best thing ever! Everyone enjoyed just being in the outdoors and revelling in the amazing weather.
  • Did I enjoy myself? Yes I did. I wasn't sure initially, as the days passed and I had some work baggage... but over the days, the company and lack of brain activity made it possible to relax and detach myself from everything and just be with the family. Totally loved that.
  • Favourite part of the holiday - all the outdoor moments we had - Heathcote Park, King's Park, Elizabeth Quay... being outdoors just felt amazing and refreshing!


And so this ends another lovely holiday with the family. Feeling blessed to have the opportunity to travel and build memories like these... and will park them to the memory bank for love, laugh and happiness.


Our whole holiday captures of day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4, day 5, day 6 and day 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment