Monday, April 4, 2016

Those red shoes

8 years ago, I wore a pair of red ching chong shoes that matched my wedding kwa. The kwa is a traditional suit that is worn when the bride returns to her maiden home from the groom's house. It represents a change - figuratively and literally - for the married woman to return home in a new outfit and status. My mother bought a pair of red shoes for me to match my kwa and I wore them for a grand total off probably an hour, during my wedding day.
 
Last weekend, I took time out to spend with the sister to help her give my vote on her wedding dresses. It felt surreal, and amazing to be part of this process with her. She chose brilliantly, I must say, and at the end of the fitting, she said she needed shoes to match her kwa. I joked that I wore obiang shoes and she should wear them too (since the mother said the shoes were still around) and what do you know! That is truly happening!
 
The same pair of red shoes I wore, that my sister will be wearing

No comments:

Post a Comment