Monday, August 27, 2012

Happy 6 months, dear boy

Jake is 6 months old today!

He drinks 180ml of milk each feed (it lasts him 4 hours). Two weeks ago, I introduced him to Rusks and he thoroughly enjoyed them. He'd squeal in protest when he dropped it (poor co-ordination from hand to mouth) and pretty much yell the house down when the biscuit's finished. I've allowed him probably no more than two full Rusks since (half at each occasion) and with the way he's been eyeing people eating and him swallowing his saliva, I'll say that he's about ready to start semi-solids. I've done the first step of purchasing him a box of baby cereal, will try it out when I'm home and not working soon. As of now, he's on 90% breast milk and after my supply scare some months ago, everything seems to be on track again. I'll keep going and perhaps am able to drop the formula feed if everything goes well. We'll see.

Eating.

With all that milk he's consuming,  this little boy is looking really sturdy. He has mini baby biceps and his thighs (!) are definitely well, impressive. They don't only look big, they are extremely strong and functional too! Maybe it's a boy thing, but he has been impressing me with his psycho-motor developments - from rather early on, he could hold his head up steadily. He graduated to doing tummy time and held his head up for long stretches and while he still needs to learn control of moving his arms, it actually "thumps" (hurts) when he flings them about.

Tummy time. Pic taken on 6 June, when Jake was 3mths+

His most recent accomplishment was to leopard crawl! Even before he was 6 months! I was terribly impressed! He is now able to sit in the walker quite comfortably and just a few days ago, he sat in a high chair when we were out dining. I cannot believe how fast he's growing.

In his baby throne.

He's fascinated by sights and sounds and loves to be out and about. He'll reach his hands out to grab anything that catches his fancy and thump away! He's still not that co-ordinated generally though, so he'll get very mad if things don't go his way.

Learning to play


Jake's temperament is generally milder overall, though I've said this before and I'll say it again, this man is a lot fiercer when it comes to expressing his displeasure. And he is an angry little bugger when provoked! *ggrr  He'll swing his arms strongly and wildly to express his displeasure, arch his back fiercely, crumple his face and tear the house down!

ANGRY
But when he's happy (in the mornings, or when he's been fed and sated) he gives you a tease of his toothless smile and his face changes completely - from what the sister calls his "meh" face, into the most adorable face!

:)

He's quite impatient and I don't want to imagine how much of a ruckus the house will be in when he and his sister get into fights.

Little muscle man looking the part *kapow*

Dear Jake,

It's been a roller-coaster ride the past 6 months. I hope that you are enjoying yourself being part of our little family. Mommy is a lot busier with everything, in general, compared to when I only had one child before; but that doesn't mean that I care any bit less. In fact, I feel that I need to have double the eyes and hands and legs and time so that I don't miss out on any part of your growth and development. You are a joy and I love you with all my heart (and more!). I just wish that you will sleep better at night time. We'll get a hang of this together. I hope you will grow up to be a confident, happy gentleman and I treasure each day with you. Sometimes, I still cannot believe that I have a son. You're a lot more fun now that you're interacting and I look forward to the days ahead where we'll just have more fun times together. I know Kate will be thrilled to have someone to boss play with!


Love, Mommy

1 comment: