Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Author Kate


Title: The Picnic.
Details: Those are stickers she chose to stick on, a very colourful sun, and two rainbows.
Kate and Janelle
Details: That's Kate and Janelle (not sure who's who. Kate keeps changing her mind when I ask her on different occasions). I know, they look like monkeys (they are), but this is also because Kate's drawn enormous ears!
The beach.
Details: That's the sea representing the beach, the girls (notice she's not drawn ears after my comment about them!) and they are playing with balls. One each, both in pink colours. 
Lunch.
Details: that's a big picnic mat, with food on plates. I asked her why there were so many people and her response was "cannot go alone what! we are family!" totally cracked me up. The people she names in the pic changes when you ask her who they are, though. 
Swim
Details: That is Uncle Mark (Janelle's Dad). She told me that the rest of the people are all resting. 
Home.
Details: she got tired/bored by now and she only agreed to write the letters because I told her there were only four letters. I had actually wanted her to write "go home" or "goodbye" but she was clearly at the end of her attention span. Oh yes, and that purple thing beneath/close to letter "H"? That's a "carrot". No idea why it's there! She didn't offer an explanation either. 


I loved that I did this with Kate. She doesn't know all her letters, and she copies the letters when I write them out for her on another piece of paper. But she conceptualised the storyline, and she draws what comes to mind on each page. I started out with this because I was thinking of what I can do with her productively post bed-time, and during our walk after dinner, I led her into telling me a story with leading questions. So when we started on this, I already had her story in mind. And guided her to work this through.

I enjoyed myself and I hope she did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment