Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Kate earns a reward

Drawing inspiration from a friend, I came up with a reward system for K. After 5 weeks where she successfully scored full marks for her spelling at school, I rewarded her with $5 to buy a treat. She went to Smiggle to pick a stationery of her choice.
 
Little Miss Grown-Up

My observations are that this reward system does work with K. She put in more effort in her weekly spelling, and it's most apparent of her fulfillment when she proudly announces her scores to me week after week. She was also keeping track of the number of times she scored and she was definitely looking forward to the treat as she gleefully reminded me several times that "today I am going to Smiggle!"

It was a pleasure watching her go amok in the store, testing out what she fancied and it was also endearing to have her check the prices of the items, to see if they were within budget. I am going to continue this form of reward system, because I do see its benefits; plus I am not giving her a big amount of reward (in my opinion).

Let's see if this is a sustainable way to motivate this little one to continue putting in good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment