Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Beautiful experience

She'd tired of feeding and was rolling around on the bed. She thumped her arms on the bed. She wriggled and rotated her entire body like a clock. She finally settled on a particular spot and rested her legs on my hip bone.

She laid still and stared up in the ceiling, where the night light shone.

I watched her staring.

Her body was still and the only movement was her tiny chest moving up and down rhythmically as she took tiny baby breaths. She blinked, and continued staring at the light.

Her blinks got slower, lasted longer and she seemed to be taking her sweet time to open and close her eyelids.

I watched her fight sleep. Her lids flew open.
She didn't move though, just continued to stare.. and blink.

And then her eyes closed and stayed shut.

My baby had fallen asleep.

It was the first time I observed her go to sleep and it was the most beautiful experience. I'm not sure if my words give justice to how I felt, but the moment was intimate and priceless.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and even as I'm reliving the moment through words, an indescribable warmth and joy fills my heart as I think to myself, "that's my baby and I love her too much."

1 comment:

  1. i can totally relate to you on how much i love elise too...miss you..hugs

    ReplyDelete