Friday, April 9, 2010

Time out

I was talking to my best friend for the past 15 years and she sounded rather wistful that I was so tied up with my life. She understands that my priorities have changed but I sensed something from her voice that I was perhaps just a little too holed up. I immediately offered to spend my day off with her and I was very happy to make those plans.

This got me thinking that life should still go on despite having a child. It is not about losing yourself, it is not about neglecting your family, it is about finding balance.

The husband goes to play soccer once mid-week. He also aims to play tennis every Sunday morning. These time-pockets of exercise keep him happy. I too, wish to have a regulated exercise regime, but I guess I know that now is not the right time. I’m not resentful that I have to be around Kate a lot more than the husband (he isn’t the one breastfeeding) but I am aware that I too, want my own time.

I am fortunate to have help around – my mother, my mother-in-law and my husband are all willing and able to babysit Kate for the occasion when I want to head out; and for that I am extremely grateful. I am a lucky girl.

In a couple of hours’ time, I will be out with my best friend and Kate. I already know that the session will do a whole lot of good to all 3 of us.

1 comment:

  1. hey girl.. i agree with you on the balance thing.. thats how i feel too, sometimes I feel like i am the boring one n scott is the fun one for elise (like your previous post) but i guess its about finding a balance, and each of us plays a different role....

    ReplyDelete