Sunday, November 11, 2012

My little 3yo is going to school

Kate has gone to school before. It was in the form of childcare and I gotta be honest and say that the whole episode really left a deep impression on me. There were good bits but I must say that it was truly not so pleasant and it really left a hole in my heart and pocket.

But! It's no longer an option of her going to school so after researching for months and months, making many phonecalls to different places and much thought, I made up my mind to enroll Kate in my old kindergarten. I know, it sounds so biased (it is) but given the signs and my (perhaps) limited knowledge, I made up my mind and the decision is made.

Yesterday, the husband and I brought Kate to the school for an orientation.

We tried on uniforms 
The same uniform which I put on many years ago
Kate had some craft time in her to-be classroom

Her finished handicraft - a Christmas ornament
The hours at school are short only (three), and I hope that she will enjoy herself. I must admit that her learning curve's been quite flat lately, with limited exposure to alphabets and all that (guilty!!) so I hope that school will pique her curiosity and interest in everything and open up her mind to the world of knowledge.

Dear Kate, 

I know you still remember going to school because you say so; you drop phrases like "my teacher taught me" randomly when we ask you things sometimes. I hope that you remember only the fun bits and enjoy the new school that we have chosen for you. I think there may be pains initially, but I hope that you will gain independence quickly and start to learn and play and have a good time. I look back at the start of this year when you first went to school and you seemed such a little girl then. Now, you have grown and seem more like a mini adult than a child. You are growing up so fast, my little one. 

Going to school is another step towards you becoming even more "adult-like" and while I know it's inevitable, I cannot help but feel wistful, because you are growing up. I know some things will never change though, which is that you will always be my special princess and that I will always be there for you and love you with all my heart. 

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment