Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The boy feels victorious accomplishing tasks

Some months ago, this little boy started to write 4 very significant letters in his life and tadah! managed to write his own name.
 
I noticed some trends of how he learns and I wish to record down my observations.
 
1) He hates to get things wrong
J has been pretty proficient at identifying capital letters. His small letters are still hit and miss sometimes, but I'm not fussed because for his age, I know that he's doing pretty well. Let me paint you a scenario - imagine we are reading a book and while my big girl is getting quite fluent and confident at reading, this little boy can only memorise. He likes to show off and be part of the reading session, but since he can't, he will do so in the form of reading the letters that form the word.
 
Let's say the title of the book is "Monsters". He won't be able to read the whole word, but he will be able to recite the letters M-O-N-S-T ;  you get the idea.
 
Usually, if the letters are all in caps, he will be able to read through them with no issues. It's when they are mixed with caps and small letters that he may stumble. When he does, he gets frustrated. He will need to read the letters from the start. So, he will read
M-O-U (mistake).
M-O-N-G (mistake).
M-O-N-S-... he cannot just pick up where he left off. He needs to read the whole thing from the beginning to the end correctly.
 
2) He will try, and try again
My kids do not take music lessons to learn the piano. However, we have this little xylophone in the form of a rainbow-coloured plastic dog that tinkles notes from Do, all the way to La. With this range of notes, we manage to accomplish several songs, including Twinkle Twinkle, most parts of Do-Re-Mi (from sound of music), Happy Birthday...
 
K actually knows Twinkle Twinkle and Happy Birthday and she does play them. I realise that she's been coaching J so he knows parts of the starry song too. I was trying to introduce a new tune of Happy Birthday to him and there was this evening where he was so focussed, trying to replicate the tunes and it was so fulfilling to watch him try, and try. At the end of it, I saw his face light up with delight at accomplishing the tunes and he was so, very happy!
 
3) Discovers joy in achieving results
To watch this litle boy grow up in his own amazing pace is extremely rewarding. As much as I know that he's 3 years old, his developments never cease to amaze me. Perhaps it's the thought that he's still a baby, because he is the young one in our family, but  I definitely feel wistful that he is growing up so quickly! He looks to the sister for aspiration, yet is firm and confident enough to stand up for himself. He retorts when he finds no logic in what we tell him, and being the mischievous boy, he does constantly try to push his boundaries still. To observe his winning trait of wanting to try and not give up, is so great and I cannot express how proud I am of my baby.
 
 
Him, insisting on writing his name properly until it was perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment