Monday, October 17, 2016

Sharity Elephant and playing our parts to spread care

Yup, Sharity Elephant - remember him? I do! I remember him as a mascot/carton of sorts, and this jingle that came along with it, encouraging us to share (from the same era of Singa the Courtesy Lion and the worm from the bookworm club...) I digress. So anyway, besides jolting a whole bunch of memories back from my childhood, I quite enjoyed working on this piece of craft with K. It's part of Children's Day, where while the children get to celebrate a day off from school and receive little gifts, they are also reminded that there are children who are not as fortunate who require help.


Building Sharity

The assignment was simple, we had to build Sharity and I helped K with it. That was not the difficult part - what was annoying a challenge was how she had to bring it to school... and those ears kept falling off. Thankfully, besides some disgruntlement and frustration in needing to fix the ears for 300 times, we three made it to school in a piece; no one was hurt.


The other part was a donation and because we had 2 envelopes, I requested for J to make a donation too. How did they contribute? When I first knew of this donation, I told K of it and told her that her savings for 2 weeks will be donated. She was agreeable. At the end of 2 weeks, K had saved $5. I told her that I'd top up the same amount of what she donated and so, she ended up donating $10.

Doing our little bit for charity

The boy doesn't have pocket money, and he did get quite upset, 'Mommy, I don't have money how?!' - so I assured him that I'd help him, and I asked him earnestly if he wished to make a donation to others in need (we read the envelope content of a boy and his predicament) and the boy nodded earnestly. I told him that I'd make a donation amount the same as his sister so that it's very fair; and that when he starts to receive pocket money and save, he will be able to donate his own money.


These activities are quite enforced, but in our busy lives; I cannot truly say that I am doing my part to contribute actively, so I do appreciate these efforts (when they are legitimate). It's also a great opportunity to involve the children and pass on educational life lessons so that they can hopefully learn and become truly good citizens of society.


Happy Children's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment