Friday, August 19, 2011

An interesting lunch

The husband and I got to spend all morning together. Much like a date while on an errand. We got what needed to be done (two things!) and I was starving for lunch by the time we were done. Good thing we already had a place in mind and we charged there (ok, we didn't actually do that. I did so in my head).

We had kway chap at a hawker centre and the husband ordered food enough for three people, really! (Plenty of add-ons). I was very happy to see all that food because like I said, I was famished. We were tucking into lunch when two strangers approached us to share the table. We, of course, said to the Uncle and Auntie to proceed to take a seat. The Uncle had his own lunch of pig organ soup and a bowl of rice, the Auntie had a bowl of dessert. We were all eating our own food when the husband suddenly said, "Uncle, Auntie yi qi chi ok" (do eat together, i.e. share our food) and indicated to our (mountainous pile of) food. The Auntie said in Mandarin "don't you have to eat?" & I responded "oh there's plenty, do share." The Uncle didn't say anything but seemed to have nodded his head.

The Auntie finished eating her bowl of dessert first and left, leaving the husband, the Uncle and I at the table. The husband excused himself to the bathroom and that's when the Uncle struck up a conversation with me. It was pretty innocuous, commenting that we'd ordered so much food for two people and I responded saying that we were pretty hungry, and I urged him to share our food. It was rather cute as the Uncle reminded me a little of my Dad, rather plumpish and yet easy-going. He then proceeded to share some of our food! It wasn't as if he ate heaps, but he did pick up some food from our plate! Uncle finished his bowl of rice and he then proceeded to say goodbye and left.

Now. Here are my thoughts - when the husband first offered our food, I was startled for a split second - honestly, I was! I mean, I'd never EVER shared food with complete strangers before! But I didn't see the harm of him doing so which was the reason why I was able to "continue the conversation" with the Auntie. I did find it terribly amusing and cute that the Uncle did share our food - amazing!

"Wow. Why'd you offer to share our food?" I asked the husband.
"They are elders what, if it's youngsters I wouldn't." was his response.

Is my husband an amazing man, or what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment