Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Exercise time with my little buddy

Yesterday was one of those days where I started work the moment I hit it - pre-8am. This means that by 4.30pm, I was pretty out of fuel... it also means that I did not get my dose of endorphin in the morning and I was mentally carving out possibilities in my head on what I could do to get myself into a sweat, between child pick-up duty... thankfully the stars aligned and I managed to reach home early.


I wasn't 100% sure of what I was wanting to do... mix my contemplation of a run with the boy's earnest demand request to go blading (utmost enthusiasm since he picked it up!), I decided (on a whim!) that we should go out together! I arranged for the helper to do child pick-up duty and opted to use the time to be with the boy instead. I am so happy it all worked out!


So, since my plan was to run my usual route, I figured that the boy can go along with me. Truth is, if I had really thought more about it, I may have been put off to do it. However, given that I was desperate for some activity, and I had told the boy before that we could do this run-and-blade thingy, we did it and I am so glad we did!


I did not manage to run properly, as the boy still needed guidance on bumps (we never ever notice how bumpy the roads are until on wheels. Any slight bump is magnified and as a bystander, I am also worried for him), and we were also needing to pause to cross roads and get through bumps and slight incline/decline of curbs... I think I walked more than ran the entire distance, but still, it was awesome!


At about the 2km mark, he sat down on the ground abruptly. Haha!

I explained to the boy that whatever distance we covered had to be doubled back so I asked him several times if he was ready to turn-around. He was one determined soul and kept rejecting to U-turn. He insisted that he wanted to see where I normally run. 'Where is the end, Mommy? I want to see the end!'


Good thing I brought his water bottle with me, as he was guzzling it along the way. I must say, his determination and skill impressed me! I lent a helping hand (literally - ha!) on bumps going up/down the curb, especially at traffic crossings, and while I jogged and walked more than I ran, there were some bursts (of his energy) and suitable space (straight paths) which did allow me to run at a fair pace.

Mid-way rest-point
The boy took off his helmet immediately, and that is when I notice that the straps on his helmet was sitting on his ear. (Note to husband: please help adjust it for him so he is no longer in discomfort!) He also said that he was really tired, but I told him that he did really well and I am sooo proud of him!


The way back seemed quicker and even J commented 'why so fast?' (despite him commenting many times 'I am tired'). I told him that he was given the chance to turnaround many times but since he chose to go on, he has to continue to get back too. In all, our 6km took 1 hour - an admirable time given our stops and it being the first time he was blading for such a long distance. Did I mention how proud I am?


I am so happy that I discovered this bonding time with the child, and I know that I can now plan such pockets of activity for each child. I cannot cope with both kids together (maybe not for the first few times as I cannot imagine handling both on the roads) - yet, but I know that when they become even better than they currently are, we can do so; or even head to a big park where we will have ample space to blade safely (no roads to cross).


I cannot wait to try this with my girl too! What a lovely discovery and run-and-blade-bonding time with the children. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment