Monday, January 16, 2017

Routine - version Jan 2017

It is week 3 of 2017 and our lives are slowly, and surely getting back into routine for the new year. It's been pretty fine re-starting the school year with K, and this year, the tricky one has been the boy. He's switched schools and is still adjusting to the new environment. He's not suffering, but he has been expressing his woes and as much as it is upsetting to watch him unsettled, it is also annoying to have to contend to his whines. I know, it's only been a week+, and I cannot wait for him to get into it. It will take a while more, and I believe once he becomes closer to his friends and enjoys playing, he will be fine. The biggest hurdle, to me, is the fact that this boy loves being home. He loves his own space, he loves the room and carpet, he loves the autonomy and needing to conform to the school's schedule is not exciting for him. I truly hope he settles in - and well - soon.


So, just for the record, here is our routine now.


6am: K wakes up, she gets changed and has breakfast the helper prepares. She usually eats some bread and milo, or cake or pancake or something.


6.10-6.20am: the husband and I wake up and start pottering around the house, getting ready to leave for work. The helper packs our breakfast (bread and fruits for him, fruit & yoghurt or bread for me; or I prepare my own oats).


6.40-6.45am: we leave the house and the husband drops K and I at the MRT station. Once, we left home at 6.50am and she was borderline late for school.


6.50-7.15am: K and I take the train to go to school. The trains are usually not crowded at this time, and we have space to stand comfortably. We usually chit chat about nothing; or if we're not talking, she will observe her surroundings and daydream while I read my book; or we revise spelling verbally...


7.20am: we say goodbye at the station and I stand, watching and waving goodbye to her as she heads towards school. I head back into the station and take the train to work.


7.35-7.45am: I arrive at my station and take the short stroll to my workplace.
I rather enjoy this short stroll - the weather is usually cool, the sun is just about peeking out and I see the same sights and smell the same smells daily. It's a mix of workers loading/unloading stocks, people having breakfast, I smell foods being prepared and there is a clitter-clatter noise of shops as they start to open up. The traffic is flowing, but not heavy and there is a sense of clockwork as life picks up, but not peaking with crazy traffic and noise as yet. It's a nice, quiet build-up for the morning.


About 7.45am: Workout time.
I always prefer to exercise in the morning, as it helps my body and mind to awaken properly. This has been the case for years, and it also allows me to allocate this time for myself before the day unravels. With the change in our routine, I embarked on a new plan last year. It's worked out pretty well, once I got used to it and I also had to get innovative at picking the type of exercise that my body wants - a good mix between yoga, running and HIIT. The change this year, is that I got a membership at the gym in the next building to my office, so now, I have an additional option of heading there to work-out if I desire. I still mix working out in the building, just because it's more convenient.




There are some days where I am busier and opt to start work at this early hour. It's very quiet and I park things which require quiet-thinking to this session.


8.30am: Workout done - shower/change/prep for work.
9am: Breakfast/work starts, usually with me logging to read through emails... and my day kicks off.


I usually end my day between 530-630pm and I head home. I have additional duties of picking up one child on Tues/Wed post enrichment class, before going home for dinner. Then starts our usual evening routine of (1) reminding K of her homework to be done (2) reminding both kids to clear/pack their bags (3) pushing them to start washing up (4) targeting to have them in their bedroom by 9pm (5) hope that they fall asleep ASAP so no one is a cranky child the next day.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment