Thursday, June 10, 2010

Clever Kate

I know the title sounds rather obnoxious, but I'm truly amazed at how K processes things in her little brain. I'm sure children, in general, are very clever as they absorb things quicker than sponge; but since this blog is dedicated to K, I'm going to brag about her clever-ness (o screw humility. I'm proud as hell of my daugher *hah)

Here are some stories of my funny little daughter.

1. Looking for the belly ring
K, as with most/all kids, like details. This applies to tiny specks of dirt on the ground, prints on anything or the likes. She's discovered my belly ring and on more than one occasion attempted to tug at it when it catches her eye. I sometimes pull my shirt over and once it's out of sight, she'd forget about it. I also sometimes use my hand to cover it - she'd then lift/push my hand away, knowing that the ring is beneath. Some nights ago, I pulled my pants higher then covered my hand over and K quickly shoved my hand away. As the pants were pulled over my belly button, she couldn't see the belly ring. She stared for a moment, obviously puzzled. She then pulled to look at my hand, turning to look at my palm. She was obviously very puzzled that the ring has disappeared and was attempting to see if it was attached to my hand! Made me giggle.

2. The forbidden zone
Ever since I scolded Kate (that first time), she has truly learnt to not pull at the wires now. I always watch to see if she ever attempts to pull at the wires again, but time and again I see that she just walks past the wires without even taking a second look! Amazing.

3. Pacifier with the mouth, not the hand
The husband started playing this game with Kate some nights ago. He'd place the non-teat side of the pacifier in his mouth; Kate will reach out with her hand to take it but he'd not let go. When she leans forward to bite the pacifier with her mouth, he will. After some tries, she knew not to bother with her hands anymore. He tried it again last night and she remembered! She went straight for the pacifier with her mouth on the first attempt! Great memory, I guess this is why the experts always say 'repeating' is essential for the child.

4. Clapping, waving, kicking, jumping and 'me'
By now, Kate can clap her hands, wave 'hello' or 'goodbye' and point to her chest when you say 'me'. She also responds to 'jump' and knows to move her legs when we say 'kick'. It's amazing how such little gestures are so simple yet seem like such huge milestones when our child does it. Truly makes me appreciate the little things.

5. She knows
Her level of understanding of the nuances in life is fantastic - when we are going out, she'll want to follow. When we're eating and she's sitting in the high chair, she'll play. But the moment we are done eating (when any person stands up), she'll demand to be carried. When we try to let her take the pacifier, she'll throw it away when she's not in the mood for it. When her food is being prepared, she'll kick her legs in excitement and anticipation. When she sees her milk, she'd reach out for it. When she is thirsty, she'll drink water from her sippy cup; when she isn't thirsty but is offered to drink, she'll sip only to store water in her mouth and spew it out. The child is learning all the time.

There are too many things to record down and these are merely some that I remember off the top of my head.

I'm definitely enjoying every moment of motherhood, and constantly amazed at how much love my heart can hold for my daughter - surely it must burst at the 'much-ness'! I love how she teaches me things that I never knew or thought about, I am thankful of her constant clever-ness and developments. Kate makes me so happy and is the love of my life and every day, I feel grateful to be blessed with her.

1 comment:

  1. So cute.. i agree-- i also feel grateful to be blessed with elise..hugs

    ReplyDelete