Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Me, me and only me

Now, the title sounds rather narcissistic but I realise that Kate has increasingly been wanting nobody else but me. As much as I love it (and I really really do), I am a little concerned about her behaviour.

After doing some reading, I reckon she's going through a phase of separation anxiety.


Do all babies experience separation anxiety? Yes, to a certain
degree.
Babies can show signs of separation anxiety from as early
as 6-7 months, but the crisis age for most babies is between 12-18 months.
A new emotional milestone of separation anxiety is beginning (at this age). This is an exciting indication that your baby is very well-connected to you - you are his 'rock' and the most important person in his whole world, so this is why he is likely to get upset as you move out of his sight or pass him to someone else to carry. Baby has not developed 'object permanence', which means that he doesn't yet understand that when you disappear you will come back again - or that you even still exist. Understandably, this can be quite unsettling for some babies and explains why they often become clingy...
Source: Sleeping like a baby, Pinky
McKay


I've heard about separation anxiety and I know it is common. I think it is a phase which she will outgrow. It doesn't help that Kate is obviously going through a lot of growth and developments - learning to crawl, stand, walk, absorbing colours and sights and sounds all around her, tasting new foods and eating more solids... and these are merely the obvious things that are tangible and known to me. There are obviously the other signs of growth and development in her fast-growing brain which are not even visible to us!


Darling Kate, you are very precious to me and as much as you love me, I love you even more. Mommy will never abandon you, leave you or not care for you. I will always be here for you, loving you, nurturing you and supporting you. Don't be anxious my dearest baby, Mommy is always there, even when you don't see me. Hugs and kisses, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment