Saturday, April 12, 2014

Friday night shenanigans

Ingredients for a good night - feet propped up with cake and hangers and most importantly, peace & quiet because the kids have all knocked out

2358: finally, I am showered and after scouting about the kitchen for something that catches my fancy, I spy the last slice of chocolate rice cake. That'd do to fill my tummy until something more substantial tomorrow. 

I'm waiting for the laundry to complete its run so that I can hang them up. I last did a small batch on Tuesday, or was it Monday? 

This week has been challenging. The key challenge is that we are helper less. It's day 6 and I am thankful that the week has passed. With the weekend, where I do not need to worry about logistics amidst my increasingly-heavy workload, I can breathe and try to enjoy time. Also, with another set of child care arrangements next week, it will also be easier - for everyone. 

Work is not going to let up. If anything, I foresee that May will be one of the toughest months yet where I will be one team member down. 

I clocked one of the latest nights in this office this week coming home past midnight and it's all very exciting, enriching but tiring too. I thought these unearthly hours were a thing of the past - I'm past 30 pls! - but maybe, not. 

I'm so proud of my kids that they are resilient enough to be flexible with the arrangements this past week. Jake had the worse end of the deal with being roused from his sleep and shuttled out of the house before 6am 3 out of 5 days; he has learnt separation anxiety where he wants his favourite person - his papa. Kate has been pretty angelic, and really. It's been pretty good considering. 

My saving grace was probably the run I clocked on Thursday before 7am. I was tired yet awake and I pushed myself to do it and I am so glad I did. It kept me sane and my body alive, more able to cope with all that each day brought on. 

Chocolate cake with feet propped up... Simple pleasures can be so easily taken for granted. Not for long though because the laundry cycle is now complete and I should move off this couch now to complete the chore. 

Friday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment