Monday, September 19, 2016

Kate turns 7

We had been planning this day for weeks. This little one knew that she wanted a party with some friends and the husband and I obliged by arranging for a playdate with a small group of friends. The night before, she was happily reminding us that 'it is 17 September tomorrow!'
The day rolled along and in our half-asleep state (while the kids were already bouncing off the walls, as usual), we hugged our firstborn and wished her HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Our morning routine was business as usual, and we all met at home after lunch. K was visibly excited and couldn't wait to head to the club to meet her friends.


Waiting for her guests to arrive

She was impatient (obviously, minutes felt wayyyy too long) and started bouncing off the walls, asking every few moments 'what time is it?' Finally, after half hour, we gathered most of the children and started to play.
Most of the little ones
The sister and I deliberated if we ought to play some games, and I think despite our lukewarm efforts, we didn't have to worry too much as the children were not too focused on quality it seems. They gamely played along, and we cut our losses by cutting down the number of games played - especially since I was barely audible with my croaky voice.

Simple games


Simple games - special mention to the sister for getting these balloons!
(In hindsight, we could have just used the damn balls at the gym!)

Playing catch



The highlight - water play!


JUMP!

Party food


Happy Birthday K
My beautiful child
With her little friends
It was past 7 by the time most of her little friends left, and I am thankful for the patience for my family who came by to just hang around. Family support is so helpful when there are situations, or just to shower love and I am extremely thankful because my family is truly super awesome. As my kids continue to grow up, I must say we are looking forward to more mini ones - looks to the brother and sister!


With the loving grandparents
Missing the busyB
PRECIOUS
Dear baby K,


No matter how old you become, you will always be my special baby. A parent will truly understand this statement, regardless of how cliché it sounds. A firstborn will always be a firstborn as you introduce so may 'firsts'.


You have brought change to my life (and your Papa's), teaching us responsibility, growing pains, laughter, unconditional love. You brought awareness of many matters - observing traditions, leading through behaviour, sensitivity... the list of lessons is endless. This year has been pretty significant, with the start of primary school and I know that you have struggled through as much as I have; but we shall not give up because this is just another phase of life that we will soldier on and we shall become stronger and better as we do so side-by-side.


You have matured and laugh at jokes that your little brother makes alongside us adults, as you understand that he is the baby now and is less aware. You become more territorial as you begin to treasure your own space. You are growing up and learning to deal with responsibility that comes with school in terms of managing money, making new friends, learning new routines and cope with the awe that comes with the 'big world' as you are the littlest in this 'big children school'. I only hope that you learn within these hopefully safe environment, as the school we have picked for you is one that will allow you to thrive.


There are so many wishes I have for you, and I hope that we will always be able to talk to each other about things big and small, so that I never stop adding to this list of wishes I have for you and I, as we both learn on this journey. This year, you become the bogay child with your toothy, dimpled grin and I marvel at how beautiful you are, how mischievous and sensitive you are, and how blessed I am that you are my baby.


Happy birthday, my child. I love you beyond purple balloons, to the US of A and right back to your little bogay smile.


May you continue to soar to greatness

No comments:

Post a Comment