Friday, September 30, 2016

Jake gets into an accident

It was lunch time, and just as I was about to get lunch, I received a call from home. What I heard made my heart skip a beat. J had hurt himself. There was crying (him) and my helper was trying to explain to me what happened; and the gist I heard was that he had a cut on his head. That made me scared. Thankfully, I was able to leave work and after some harried phone calls to the helper and husband, we all met at the clinic. Was so glad that both the husband and I were able to take off from work at such instant notice.


The original pic that we received from the helper


It was a wasted exercise though, because the clinic GP couldn't help much. She recommended that we head to KK Hospital A&E department for more applicable treatment. We took her referral letter and made our way to Mount A instead, as it was closer.




We registered and thankfully, the clinic was not super crowded. We waited for our turn, and by this time, the boy was behaving normally with no hint of discomfort at all. Time didn't seem to pass too slowly; perhaps it was because we were walking about, watching some TV, fiddling with something/nothing and making idle chat with a set of neighbours that were also at the hospital with their child. Soon, our number rang and we headed to the first station.
First stop - a filter check by a nurse
A doctor saw to the boy soon after, and gave a quick prescription of an X-ray and possible stitching after was likely necessary. We were famished by this time (past 1pm) and we made do with takeaway sandwiches from subway. The X-ray results took about an hour to be ready and thankfully, nothing seems to be alarming from the X-ray and so we were referred to a room where the doctor came in to provide some follow-up attendance to stitch J's head.


Waiting for the doctor
While the husband sat on the bed to hold the boy down (in case he fidgeted majorly during the administration of the local anaesthetic - which by the way, the boy was a SUPER STAR, he barely flinched), I made myself nearly sweat with stress just by being in the same room. I stood at the end of the bed holding my breath unknowingly, fidgeting non-stop as I worried of the procedure.


My poor baby, look at his face :(
Truly, both the boys performed amazing. In his usual calm and steady fashion, the husband distracted the boy by chatting to him of random subject matters, and the boy responded in a quiet way, whilst receiving treatment. Besides his super solemn expression, the boy truly just laid on the bed with no outburst, no tears, no extreme reaction. I was so proud of him. He was so calm, that his eyes started to close...


And he fell asleep.
Of course, it was way past his naptime at this point (3pm) but to watch him rest so peacefully truly made my heart burst with relief.


Resting
It had been an anxious day with this accident taking place and it really made me thankful that (1) the boy seems fine. Yes he had stitches to his head, yes he made us so worried but he really seems fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no complications arise after. (2) The husband - as always, he is the pillar of calm in emergencies and to have him there, to watch him steadily assure and be with the boy, made me so relieved that I have such an amazing partner. (3) The relatively painless experience at the hospital - I know, it's not as if I was the one injured and in pain, but being a parent who has to bear with the child's agony, any other parent will be able to empathise that the experience is not one that any will envy. Plus, the whole waiting/treatment experience was bearable this afternoon and I am so grateful for that.


It's now nearly bedtime and the boy is receiving a proper head-wash under the assistance/supervision from the husband. It's tricky because his wound should not touch water but this boy is a sweat factory so we gotta find a way to ensure that there is some level of cleanliness involved. He has also been in good spirits the whole afternoon so I hope he will sleep through the night and be as fit as a fiddle tomorrow too.


Oh and the cause of his injury? An act of mischief where he was (probably) jumping about on the bed/window ledge and slipped - self-inflicted accident. Boo.


What. A. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment