Thursday, September 15, 2016

Regaining my running mojo - about my exercise regime

With our new morning routine that started in July, my exercise regime has gone awry. My free window period that used to take place every morning (between 0545-0700) has changed. I realise that I crave routine and with the changes, it is slightly disconcerting.


The result of the consistent exercising every day from Jan - May this year, is that I became super toned, and also super thin. I had not realised that, until the regime broke and now that I am 3-4kg heavier.


What's new, is how I am exercising now. My options are:
1) Ending work early and going back for a workout.
While this has happened on a few occasions, where I fit in a run before dinner, the act of rushing home just to work out then rush the night routine (of putting the kids to sleep) - is sometimes daunting (also known as, I get lazy). It is also a challenge to slip out of home once I see the munchkins as they start talking to me etc etc...


2) Fitting in a workout before work
By the time I send K to school and come to the office, it is about 0745. I have tried to Kayla to finish the workout by 0830, in time to wash-up and be ready for work by 0900. In that same time, I can practise yoga.


3) Running to the office
This works brilliant as it combines me working out and making my way to work. It works best when I pre-plan my wardrobe and have an outfit to change into when at work, and it is great for days that I need to start my day earlier. The route is a nice, easy one cutting through Orchard Road and works great in the early hours of the morning.


4) Running home from the office
I have tried this on a handful of occasions from my previous offices, and yesterday, I did it for the first time from this premise. It felt pretty good honestly, and though my body is protesting slightly at the long run (been so slack), it is still an effective way in using my time, fitting in a workout and forcing me to go the distance.


11.9km


5) Exercising on the weekend
I try to work out at least once on the weekend, whether at home, out for a run, or at the gym. So far, so good - except that my routine on Saturday (my regular visits to the gym) is going to change soon. So let's see how that unfolds.


The husband made a comment recently that it is not only applicable to specific people who may be required to be fit in their role at work. Exercising regularly is a lifestyle and I believe that if we make some effort, it should be something that we do for ourselves - whatever your motivation is. It has been several years since I started my lifestyle of exercising regularly and it's amazing how much it impacts my daily life. I get grumpy when I don't exercise, I feel sluggish when I am not active. I feel not as happy with myself (and my body) even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. The benefits of exercising totally outweighs any reason to not exercise and I am glad that the husband is a constant motivation for me to keep active, not forgetting us wanting to play lead examples to the children.


I'm definitely in good spirits today after the run yesterday, and now if I can control my gluttony more... I can be even healthier than what I am right now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment