Monday, May 31, 2010

Parenting 101 - a practical lesson

She looked at me forlornly. Her mouth turned downwards and chin quivered. She burst into tears then leaned her body towards me and put her arms out, wanting me to carry her.
My heartstrings pull even as I recall this scene that took place last Saturday.
It was the first time I scolded Kate. A proper stern one, and I even smacked her tiny little hands.

It was necessary, as I had to educate her about the perils of pulling at electrical wires. But it didn't make it easy nor was it fun. It was the first time I raised my voice and scolded her. Watching her face crumble as she realised that she had done something unacceptable was heart-wrenching. My heart bled a little; but I held firm. I kept repeating my message to her and I kept my tone and face fierce and firm.

This first time hurt my insides like hell and it took me all restrain I could muster to not hug her and tell her 'everything's alright'. It actually took my breath away to see her face crumble at what I'd done, to see her tears fall.

I learnt that day was that my daughter understands. At 8months and 2weeks old, Kate knows that she's done wrong, she understands pain and unacceptable behaviour; she understands that she's done something bad and seeks comfort.

This first practical lesson on parenting was tough. And I'll bet that it doesn't get any easier after. But I also know (and I keep reminding myself) that it is all a necessary process.

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree.. elise has even been trying to pull at the baby proof wall PLUG! lol .. miss u

    ReplyDelete