Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Simple pleasures

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this work trip to Hong Kong has been awesome in many ways. Not only did I get to immerse myself in new experiences that enrich my understanding and passion for the job, I also totally enjoyed the time outside of work. I hope to have time to jot those memories and moments down, but for now, I have to dedicate time to talk about my favorite foods in Hong Kong; breakfast. Specifically, polo bao, dan tart and nai cha.

I love food and I eat everything, but I think breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. And what's not to like about authentic nai cha & dan tart in the country that makes it so good?

Breakfast on day 2, at a cha can teng: my half-eaten egg tart with the ginormous polo bun. They were not exceptionally good though the egg tart was better because it was served warm. I daren't ask for the polo bun to be warmed up for fear that they'd spit on it or something. The tea was the yummiest item in this meal, which unfortunately does not make a cameo appearance (though you can see a bit of it in the top corner of the pic).

I didn't get to have this breakfast set on day 3, because I was rushing to the work thingy. But, thanks to a very sweet colleague from Malaysia, I got to drink yummy nai cha cos she tapau-ed it for me!

Day 4: I invested time at the gym and shopping, so I didn't manage to eat anything until I hit the airport. I'm pleased to have that 10minutes of quiet time to breathe and enjoy the food - it was truly good.


Warm egg tart bought from a bakery at the airport - it tasted much better than what I had before, the crust was thinner & buttery. I held the egg tart scouting around the place for a coffee-counter and was very pleased to locate one that served local tea. Aaahhh, nai cha with dan tart...

Dear nai cha, I'm sorry that I couldn't finish drinking all of you, & in fact barely drink half a cup. I usually cannot finish a whole cup (and you were pretty much) because I'd get caffeine OD, not to mention that it was already 1pm and I'd have developed a headache as well as not been able to sleep if I'd finished it all. It's not how much I drank, but how much I enjoyed you!

1 comment: