Thursday, September 8, 2011

I. Need. Sleep.

Not too long ago, I was complaining about how sleep was evasive. I suspect it was the lack of brain activity & the overdose of physical discomfort that caused it. I've been well enough to be back at work for exactly a week now and I now sleep pretty much like a baby!

I head home after work, have my dinner & have my shower. In between that I talk to Kate, play with her a little, read to her... and before 10pm I can feel my eyelids growing heavy.

The husband had class on Monday so I had to put Kate to sleep. Honestly, I was not entirely lucid and I declare that I wasn't sure when she fell asleep. Normally, I'll be terribly patient (or enjoying myself, depending on how tired I am/how long she's been fussing) and give in to her zillion requests for a lullaby/story/to scratch her back/pat her butt; while protecting myself from her unintentional attacks (when she rolls/jumps around, she sometimes knocks into me). And only when she knocks out, will I switch off the night light and go to sleep. However, on Monday, it was lights off and I patted her butt but I was not able to stay awake and I vaguely remember doing so half-heartedly because I was too tired. So I don't know when she really fell asleep and I only know that it was pitch black and dead quiet when I opened my eyes sometime in the middle of the night and Kate had fallen asleep - on her own.

Fortunately, the husband's been around the past few nights and I'm able to go to sleep when the zzz-monster hits. Kate's very quickly gotten used that Papa will be putting her to sleep while I go to sleep and last night, when I announced that "Mama is going to sleep, good night Kate", she happily replied "good night Mama", gave me a kiss on my cheek and pulled the blanket to my shoulders. I was so amused and touched by her gesture that I swear I went to sleep with a smile on my face!

And the truth is I really KO when I go to sleep, so much so that I have zero idea how the husband manages to put her to sleep (unless he tells me any special stories/antics of hers) or what time they go to sleep. It's amazing how tired I am and I'm grateful because I really need to charge my batteries as I'm still getting used to functioning normally.

Yawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment