Monday, June 18, 2012

"Eva is my friend"

Kate and Eva have met on several occasions, the last time they  met was then. They are about a month apart in age (Eva's an August baby, Kate September) and they are so similar in their developments that it's fun to get them together. It helps too that I enjoy catching up with Eva's Mommy, and though we don't talk as much as we prefer (it's hard when you're interrupted mid-sentence every few minutes), I just enjoy adult company. Especially so with someone who totally understands me because she's at the same stage of life. This common-ness runs deep and it's so great not to have to explain too much of how it's like. She just gets it.  

So anyway. Last Saturday, we brought the kids out to watch a play. Well, the idea was for the kids to enjoy a play. Unfortunately, only Eva did. It was the first time I brought Kate to a theatre for any kind of show (the past hi-5s and Barneys were all in an open atrium environment) and her excitement for the show lasted up to the point of us being outside the theatre.

Waiting for Eva. Kate posing with the show poster. Still happy.
The moment we entered the theatre, I sensed Kate's uneasiness already. And it only escalated to the point that she was crying out loud "I want to go outside!" Despite my efforts to want her to try to not be afraid, I gave up before she became hysterical. I was also kindly advised by the ushers to step outside so as "not to disturb the others". *grimace Once outside, she was happy enough to tell me "I don't want to go inside already. I'm scared." She then spent the hour playing on the stairs and making a new friend and playing imaginary masak with me. I guess I couldn't force her, and I didn't want to traumatise her either.

Lesson learnt: Kate does not like to be in a dark, enclosed area. Even when I tried bribing her with food, it didn't work. So she definitely does not like it. She was contented enough for me to read her the synopsis repeatedly from the programme booklet. And she could tell me that the owl was afraid of the dark, not her. Heh.

After the play ended, we made our way to lunch. Eva's Papa wanted to eat at Riders' Cafe, so off we trotted there (hah). Before lunch started, we went to check out horses - where kids could ride them for a fee. Eva was a champ, enjoying the ride on Rosie (the horse) a lot! She looked so cute in the little riding hat. Kate, on the other hand, continued her I-don't-want streak - first the show, then the horse-riding. The best I got her to do was walk alongside Eva the brave horse-rider and we managed this picture below.

2 Moms, 2 girls and 1 horse. (The reason why I was hugging Kate so 'lovingly' was because she wanted to scramble off. She was afraid of the horse. I had to hold her in place! Though I got to give it to her for gamely smiling for this pic. Lovely)
Lunch was pretty good, though slightly rushed. Actually, come to think about it, the entire day just felt very rushed. But the objective was met - in trying to get Kate to catch the show, and to catch up with Eva and her Mommy.  

All the best in your move, and I wish you all the best, woman, in the wilderness of Vancouver. I really hope to visit you one day, if we can.

I love this pic of the girls. I look forward to the day that they meet again.

1 comment:

  1. I hope they'll meet again too! It was a lovely day but yes, I wish we had more time. See you in a couple of years :)

    ReplyDelete