Thursday, September 26, 2013

A love note from Kate

I was preparing for work this morning, and trying to be as swift as I can (somehow, I'm always running 15 minutes behind). Kate comes up to me and lingers. I try to distract her and suggest "Darling, why don't you do some drawing?" I was happy when she took up my suggestion and stepped out of the room. She fussed about using the "right" paper (I swear, she's OCD on some levels), and searching for the "right coloured pens", and finally when she was settled, I was relieved when she finally got on with her task. It is rather tiresome to fend questions from an inquisitive 4yo and dance around her wrapping herself around your legs when you're trying to be efficient.

I suggested to her to "draw something for Mommy please? I'll put it up in my office" and this sweetie goes ahead with a misison to accomplish. Halfway through, she comes up to me to show her work-in-progress, and explains "here are 3 rainbows. This one a bit out of line but still nice."

I nod appreciatively.

She then looks at me and says, "Mommy, I want to write Thank you for the watch birthday present." I respond - that's too much to write on this piece of paper darling. I secretly also couldn't handle doing writing with her in that state.

After some negotiations, I ask her to write "I love Mommy" and she doggedly refused.

She then proceeds to scribble something on the paper and tells me "Mommy, I'm writing your name so it won't get lost." I look over and she did not write my name. But the thought is a sweet and logical one.

She then decides that it's not a bad idea, afterall, to write I Love You. I know this because she asks me "how to spell love?" I remind her of the L-O-V-E jingle that she knows how to sing, from Hi5. She starts to hum that song under her breath while continuing her drawing.

I'm ready to set off and yell out to the household "OK! Let's go! Mommy's late for work! Let's go now! Wear your shoes! Take your water bottles! If you want to go to the playground let's go now!" This is the usual pandemonium in the morning and I swear my neighbours think that my voice is too loud.

Anyway, the girl folds the paper and mutters "I fold this nicely and put it inside your bag Mommy. Because the bag so big and the paper so small. (pause) No no, because the bag so small and the paper so big, so I need to fold it". (Truth - my bag is definitely not smaller than the paper but it tickles me that she understands the logic of small/big.)

Kate adds, "Mommy, I give you a lot a lot because I love you a lot a lot, ok"
It didn't occur to me what this is about then, but I acknowledged "ok I love you too".

So off I go to work and when I arrive, I take out the slightly kiam chye paper and open it up. What I see makes my heart bloom with love.

These are the best things in life. Money cannot buy.

On the left, is supposedly my name. If you tilt your head to the left, you can see the 3 rainbows she's drawn. The one below is the "a bit wrong but still nice" version. And my favourite bit of this whole masterpiece which took my by surprise, is the I LOVE LOVE LOVE which she has written - and now I get what she meant when she told me she loves me a lot a lot! Love love love her too!

No comments:

Post a Comment