Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Time with the kids

Lately, I've had a few conversations with different people about being a working parent. The eco-system in Singapore is really such that it is one or the other. You may be luckier if your employer is understanding, and if your work is of a fixed schedule, or is flexible enough so that you can be home when you need to. 

Right now, I'll consider myself in a relatively good place. While I do get busy and those are the days where I pull my hair out and am in a bad place - when my mind is torn being at work and wanting to be home with the kids. It's really unpleasant and I've shared this with the husband where I really feel stressed because I feel bad that I'm not being fully productive at work; nor am I with my kids which is where I want to be. 

There really isn't a best solution to this, and I try to count my lucky stars that I'm in a good place; where the husband does help out when he can and well, we have a super helper at home who does help hold the fort very well. 

This doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye to the kids in the morning and truly, I really enjoy the (little) time I have with them at night time and the weekends. And maybe this is why I put in much effort to make things as interesting as possible when I have time with them. A friend commented that I'm always out and about with the kids and I think that it isn't a bad thing to bring them out and expose them to more things; besides, it's easier to keep them occupied when they're outside the confines of home. They are already home pretty much a lot of the time anyway. 

Yesterday evening was one of those blissful nights where the husband was (finally) home for dinner, and after dinner, the whole family was in the room together. I spent probably about half hour just singing and being silly with the kids and it felt so.. good. 

One evening last week, I was again early enough and after dinner, I brought the kids to this ol' school hood where this playground stood. They loved it! And so did I.

Hello, Dragon playground!

My lovely babies


No comments:

Post a Comment