Sunday, November 20, 2011

Jake

Yesterday, we went for our 25th week visit and it was with great joy and (actually, more) laughter that we saw a rather clear view of how our son looks like. He has a little round face with a short (and distinct) chin! When that image popped up on the screen I let out a gasp in amazement as I could really make out his face! My heart let out a burst of happiness as I felt the excitement of receiving another life, the love result of the husband and I. Truly, I'm quite prepared to stop at two so I remind myself that this is the last time I will have this swollen belly.

I remember when the husband and I were ready for a second child. Kate had turned one and we were saying not-so-seriously that we should have number two soon. That "soon" didn't actually happen until ten months later. It was a combination of reasons - the fact that I changed jobs, that we weren't very serious and generally letting nature take its course. I remember during those months of (kinda) trying, I'd feel a pang of wist when I heard of anyone being pregnant. That reinforced the fact that I was ready. Having two seems the most natural thing in the world for us and I cannot thank the stars enough for the husband because yet again, this was something that we agree upon. I know of friends whose view on having children differ and it is not an easy one to tackle. It is a subject that is so tender, intimate and life-changing that it really makes the entire experience ever-so special especially if both people are involved. And I am a lucky woman to have the mutual support of the husband.

This pregnancy has been somewhat similar to Kate. Broadly, my first trimester for both were equally bad. I lost 4-5kgs and the entire 2nd-3rd month was truly un-fun (to say the least)! I was fortunate to recover when I tided through the yucky period and I am pretty much cruising through the second trimester quite comfortably now, as I did with Kate. My appetite is good, I eat plenty (too much sometimes, wouldn't hurt if I exercised more discipline really). The past week, I feel a spike in my energy levels. Maybe it is because I have a fairly fixed routine going ( sleep by 11+ and up abt 730) but I suspect the happy hormones play a part too. My back is more achey this time compared to the last but I guess it is only natural since I believe that my body is less strong after having gone through labour before. I experience pelvic aches now (thankfully they come and go) which is earlier than with Kate. I exercise not at all this pregnancy which is awful! With Kate, I swam very regularly and walked more too. With Jake, I have less time and honestly, I'm much lazier. I do walk where I can but I think we will both benefit with some exercise *guilty.

O yes, my tummy growth! I feel that my tummy showed earlier with Jake (loose abdomen), and I think my tummy is shaped differently too! With Kate, my bump was flatter and more spread out. But now, I feel that my tummy is more pointed. Just like how the elders guess a baby's gender by looking at differently-shaped bumps - I do think it is true (the husband thinks I'm mad though). I feel very fortunate and happy to be able to experience pregnancies carrying different genders - somehow it feels like a complete experience.

Dear baby Jake, as the days pass, Papa and I get more excited to see you. You have more than doubled your weight from our last visit (350g to 850g!) and I was very tickled that you, Kate and I share the same face shape! I love you very much!
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment