Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My little ball of meh

Like a boss!
I really like this picture of Jake - totally cracks me up! *snigger

So he's 6.5months old now, just as his sister turned three. I want to write to jot down random things about him as he progresses, before I forget them all.

He's really good at "walking" about the house now, with his walker. He was not so steady initially, though he could navigate himself about quite well. By now, though, he's a good driver already and can move to where he wants to. He's also grown taller, so we've had to adjust the walker higher so that he can stretch his legs out. I worry that he'll knock his head/clip his fingers between the walker and furniture though, cos he'd just bang right into things cos he can't control his strength proper. Hmm, now what can I do about that?

His face lights up when he smiles
 He's also graduated to a high chair now. It's so much more convenient when we eat out now! We just request for two high chairs when we're dining and I prepare some baby Rusks for him. Then it's quite easy to let him play with his fingers/biscuits and we all have a pretty decent meal.

Look at me, all grown up in my own seat!
 Jake's on a regular cereal-for-breakfast diet so far (say, about 2 weeks?) He eats it, but doesn't seem to enjoy it excessively so. When he's in a bad mood, he'd much rather down his milk. This is quite a difference between Kate and him. Kate used to love everything that we fed her! So far, I've let Jake try banana and potato - these are his clear favourites. He's also tried mash fish with soggy rice, apple which he's ok with but not so enthusiastic about. He does look so longingly at us when we eat though, so I cannot figure out if he is just a little Mr Busybody, or if he's just more selective with his palate (probably both).

He is very strong and getting better at moving himself along in his leopard crawl style. When he sets his sight on something that he wants, he will head towards it with determination and speed. However, usually, he's quite happy to just chill.

Stoning

With him getting stronger, we can also let him sit on his own. He's not 100% stable yet, sometime veering to a side/forward when he loses his balance, but he's so cute and it's yet another sign of his physical capability.

Sitting on his own
Finally, I'm happy to share that this boy is finally getting some sleep in the night! Sure, he still wakes up a couple of times, but he's much better now. Maybe it's because he's crossed the 6-month mark, maybe it's cos I changed my style of feeding him (side-by-side), maybe ... whatever! I don't care really, but it's so great that we both get to sleep properly for longer stretches! His pattern now is along the lines of going to bed by 8pm, waking up for a feed at about 12-1am, then fusses about 3/4am, and wakes up about 6/7am. Yayness! Progress, people! Progress!

It's so much fun watching him grow up and interact. I totally turn to mush when I smile at him and have him return my smile. Such precious moments that really make everything (the pain, the fatigue, the frustrations) all (nearly) worthwhile.

Dear Jake,

I love watching you grow each day. I hope you know that we all love you deeply and even though your sister is quite a fussypot at times, she does love you too. It thrills me to no end that you reciprocate this affection; and having you smile at me in recognition is one of the best feelings in the world.
Keep growing well, my dear boy. I love you so much.

 Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment