Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Happiness is... Spending time with loved ones

The weekend deserves mention because it was awesome. And it isn't possible without family. My mom for helping babysit K, and the fact that my siblings and I do want to spend some time together. Now, this may seem a "given" because well, we are family, aren't we? But from a recent conversation with a friend, I have discovered that its not true that family members actually spend time together. There are those who say they want to but never get around doing so, or those who just don't because they aren't close like that. But I digress...

So Friday started when I had a drink in the office at, what my colleague termed, beer o'clock. A glass of mojito made me smile. Even more so, when a few of us clinked our glasses to welcome the end of the workday. The cherry on top was the moment I heard my kids - yes, they had invaded my office! Thanks to the sister, who had picked them up from home and it felt so good to see them, even if they were at risk of destroying office property while running amok. 

Our original dinner plans of the siblings didn't materialise with the brother held up at work, but it was still a pleasant evening of blah food (made pleasant by the excellent company of the sister, and the adorably frustrating-what-do-I-do-with-or-without-you kids). We did a detour to pick the Mother up from her office after dinner (cue disappointment at the brother who never turned up) and then came the turn of events.

Giddy-up! The weekend is here!

The mother and the daughter came to a mutually agreeable arrangement where K would stay over at Grandma's. This translated into me having the night all to myself! (At this juncture, I should mention that the husband was already on his weekend with time with his boys).

So. After putting both kids to sleep (not literally), the sister and I headed out for a drink. At Zouk. Unbelievable, but true. I was out and about past 11pm and not dressed in my pyjamas!

Family love
Then Saturday was again another kick-ass day with us being lazy all day, bringing K for her swim class.

K making good progress in swim class
Mom cooked home-cooked dinner... then because the Mother so kindly took K again for the night, the sister, the husband and I managed to catch "Wolverine". But not before the sister and I consumed plenty of calories in a very comfortable home setting.

Avocado gula melaka, lychee martini, oreo cheesecake. Baileys and Earl Grey. 

Sunday saw us witnessing a very special milestone for the sister. We attended her baptism and I wish her  all the best in her new journey of constant discovery and good faith. We finished off the weekend with yet another round of coffee and cakes before having home-cooked dinner at Mom's.

Carpenter and Cook. Photo credit: the sister

Feeling so blessed!

1 comment: