Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Happy Birthday, Singapore!

It was a lovely Saturday. I was super psyched because after praying and pleading and sourcing all around, I was about to get my hands on not one, not two but FOUR tickets to the National Day Parade! I was stoked! And no better way to demonstrate patriotism but getting hands on.

Trying to get J to paint as per sample.

My elder and more on-brief girl
We had to lay the paint to dry, and in between K and I cut out the crescent and starts to be glued onto the paint-piece.

National Day also coincided with my BIL's birthday so off we went for a celebratory lunch.

Cousins
Post a big meal, we headed home for a power nap before we got ready to go to the parade! After being late at the preview, I was anxious not to be late again so that we would not miss the Red Lions!

All dressed and ready to go! With their finished hand-crafted Singapore Flag 

Enroute to the parade
The queues to get into the parade premise was alot more stringent compared to rehearsals, definitely due to the fact that there were Ministers and important people at this parade. We took about an hour to get in! Including queueing up to get past security checks, grabbing our goodie bags and climbing up a slow but long flight of stairs to get up. 

And then, not long after we settled down, the magic moment!

Red Lions sighted!
See those specks in the sky?

My well-trained little boy who gamely yelled "Oooooooooo Yeah!", the traditional cheer to welcome the Red Lions' landing
Happy Birthday, Singapore from our family!
Party people - phweeeet!
My patriotic little girl waving her flag while singing along
With my little monsters whom I love soooo much
So proud of my little champion who can recite the pledge, and she did so with gusto!
They had a time of their lives and I was so happy to watch them happy
See how this boy is sitting? #comfortable much

The parade had ended by then, but the crowds were going out in full force and we just say comfortably in our seats and continued to watch the participants party on. I'd been involved in the parade as part of the marching contingent twice in my school days and I remember clearly the thrill and exhilaration you feel, that sense of pride and happiness when it's all over. 

We watched the participants cheer, receive words of thanks and kudos from the parade leads, and then we were all pleasantly surprised when they displayed a short burst of fireworks just for the participants as a show of thanks. 

Loved the gesture of the committee
Leaving
I was quite dismayed by the amount of litter that people left behind. It left an unpleasant after-taste in my mouth, as it's sad that these participants who happily soak in the cheers and celebrations, will also unkindly leave behind their mess. I tried to pick up whatever litter I could within my area and helped to dump them away.

Owning the road
Still hanging on to the celebratory mood
Isn't this cute!

The last highlight of the night was when we bumped into Dick Lee - he is a famous local figure who is extremely talented; and this year he played the role of Creative Director for the parade. I enjoyed the show tremendously and there were several poignant moments that tugged at the heartstrings. The songs and medleys that were strung together was amazing and awesome - perhaps it was the simplicity that did it but whatever it was, I thoroughly enjoyed it all. So to bump into him, and be able to shake his hands and say "thanks" felt good! I did not even think of taking a pic with him but I kinda wish we did.

It was a lovely, lovely day and I'm very thankful that we had the opportunity to watch the parade this year, not once but twice and even on the actual day. I'm thankful for the kind people who passed tickets to us and I know both kids enjoyed themselves, thoroughly.

Happy Birthday, Singapore. Thank you for being the lovely home that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment