Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Movie night

So after some weeks of mad-work-mad-schedule-type of days, last night saw me leaving work when the sky was still bright. Hooray!

The kids were having their dinner when I arrived home and I was excited to reveal to them a plan that bubbled into my head when I was on the way back - let's gather around and watch a movie together!

I'm not too well-versed with movies, much less kids' movies; but I do recall this "cartoon Dragon" movie so the husband set to prepare the show. After dinner and shower, we all settled down for the kid's first ever movie night.

I missed the first bits of the show but I don't think I missed too much. We were all seated comfortably, with Kate on the same big chair as me and Jake in his own seat. 

I enjoyed myself! The show was witty - the wit was lost on the kids though; the conversation was too quick for them to grasp - the fighting scenes were exciting enough (even for me) - and poor K was actually frightened; the plot demonstrated good pace and unveiled good family/friend ties. 


While K squealed and covered her eyes in "scary fighting scenes", Jake was unfazed and at one point commented "fire" quite factually.
Line-up of dragons - everyone liked Toothless!
(For the uninformed, Toothless is the main dragon character in black)

What struck me most during the show - about the kids - was how K was so involved in the show. She is such an emotional child and while the fighting scenes scared her, it was the fact that any character was hurt that actually upset her. When it looked as if (especially) Toothless or Hiccup (the boy lead) was in danger. She had tears in her eyes as she repeatedly asked "is he ok?!?!" - that's my sensitive, sweet girl.

My boy, on the other hand, sat gripped in his chair. I'm not entirely sure how much of the plot he actually understood, but I know that he was watching the graphics and enjoying himself. At some points, I sensed his slight discomfort (fear is too strong a word for him, slightly frightened more like it) and he volunteered the information "I want to sleep already". I understood that as his way of wanting to stop watching - but despite that, he stayed on with all of us and based on how he was quite stoically taking it all in, I gathered that he was more absorbing the graphics and action than the storyline. That's doing pretty well for a 2yo, I say.

Being kid, making friends
It was a first for the kids and already today, they are saying "I want movie night!" over breakfast. I love exposing them to new things and watching them learn.

Perhaps, the next time we try something less adventurous - like Finding Nemo?

#newadventuresuccess!

No comments:

Post a Comment