Friday, June 3, 2011

Barney

Some weeks back, I received an invitation to the opening show of "Sing and Dance with Barney & Friends" at Marina Square. I was very excited and happy because I knew that this was a must-do with Kate. I mean, this girl loves her Mickey & Minnie Mouse(s) and Pocoyo and bears (Care Bears, general bears) but Barney definitely tops the list!

I was very excited to receive the invitation!

Come show-day and I was nearly not able to make the show as I was ill, but the husband saves the day by finishing work early enough to fetch both Kate and I to the show.

Happy Kate with Janelle (my colleague's daughter. Janelle is one week younger than Kate. How much of a coincidence is that!)

Faces of fierce concentration

SO. How was it? It was AWESOME!

Kate was a bit bewildered at what was happening - the stage, the mass of children and adults all seated together, and the familiar music that kept playing in the background... and when the girl leading the show appeared on stage, she tried to keep up with the "warm-ups" by clapping along, stamping her feet and saying "hooray". It was all very exciting (for the husband and I) to monitor her reactions to the life-show and I'm happy that the husband and I were both there to watch her obvious happiness and amazement at seeing Barney live!

She got a bit startled at some bits of the show, where she'd scramble onto the laps of the husband or I, but the worst was at the end of the show when the confetti was popped with a loud "Bang!" - which honestly, also gave me a fright, much less her - and she truly nearly wept. But the live happenings and the fact that her idol was right in front of her eyes prevailed and she was still more taken with the show than giving in to crying from fright.

I truly enjoyed the show for one very simple reason - that Kate was obviously taken with Barney and enjoyed herself thoroughly. She was able to sway along with the songs and perform the simple actions with the sing-along-song "If you are happy". She was truly concentrating and absorbing everything that was happening on stage and the exciting moment was when she first sighted Barney on-stage. She broke out into genuine "Hello Barney! Hi!" complete with hand-waves at least twice through the show segment which really melted my heart.

Here's a link that shows the video of Kate enjoying herself.

I'm happy when Kate is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment