Friday, February 17, 2012

The visits

I probably have less than 5 more visits to the gynae's (another 2-3 before birth, and 2 more afterwards) and as I was sitting there this morning, waiting for my turn, I felt like I should write something about it. Not that the place is anything uber special, more like how the place is special because it's brought me through plenty of emotions and celebrations, pains and experiences.

How I picked my gynae was a rather non-affair. It was about 3.5 years ago that the husband and I were talking about starting a family, and I figured it was probably a good idea to find someone I was comfortable with - even for female check-ups too. So I asked two female colleagues (then) who their gynaes were and both gave me their contacts. I selected my gynae from this pool of information (grand total of, two) based on location. I made my first appointment with him for a pap smear and well, I was comfortable enough with him and like they say, the rest is history.

Besides the location of the clinic & hospital, what I really like about my gynae is that he's good-enough-looking (hey, this can never be a bad thing, right), but what really impresses me is his never-flinching "cool-ness". His demeanour is always cheery, he always smiles, he tries to look empathetic when you share with him your issues, but he is always cool as cucumber. I'm trying to think of a term that better describes him but he's really a man of few words. His nearly non-plussed, fuss-free, swift and efficient visits always rubs off on me, in a good way. Especially in the first pregnancy where I was a lot more anxious and nervous about anything/everything, how he was made me feel comforted and less anxious too.


Not everyone may prefer his style though, because he may be a little too non-conversational, but over the years, through both my pregnancies, the husband and I have gotten used to his ways and we rather like it. After all, I always say "if he's not fussed/worried, neither should I be" and that makes me much at ease!

His ways are also always au naturel. He doesn't excessively recommend any vitamins etc, instead preferring me to consume real foods. When I ask him about any myths/ hearsays I've heard, he's always quick to tell me what he really thinks and usually, the myths are just that - myths!

During the year that the husband and I visited him before we were first pregnant with Kate, he was always caring and always encouraging; telling us not to worry and to let my body take its natural course. Of course, he was right and for whatever reason it took for us to only get pregnant when we did, it was just meant to be.

The clinic is another place that holds special meaning - because that's where we always look forward to seeing our little peanut, growing steadily to something that's truly nothing short of a miracle. The nurses, the place holds special meaning to me - that familiar smell, the feeling I get when I visit the place; it's always going to mean good things because being pregnant is a blessing and as I get closer to delivering my second child, I just want to remember that I'm a fortunate woman to be able to be pregnant and experience the joys of visiting a gynae to watch my baby grow within me.

2weeks, 3 days to the EDD. Wheeeee...


No comments:

Post a Comment