Thursday, September 25, 2014

Kate and her rainbows

One evening, I was approached on my way home by a lady. We've seen them before - people holding files with larnyards around their necks. We usually shun because they are asking for some money or something - whatever it is, we usually don't have the time for them. 

That evening, I stopped - maybe the lady looked kind, maybe I was not in that much of a rush. Their cause was simple - please fill in these greeting cards that we will share with old people in the home from SASCO. The requirement was simple - can you write a message on these cards so that we can brighten the day of the old folks?

I took the card, then the pen... then I looked at the lady. I was stumped. I couldn't churn anything out while standing juggling my laptop bag and handbag and come up with something sincere. So I asked  the lady if I can bring the card home and have my kids draw on them. I admitted that I was having trouble writing anything that meant something right there.

She smiled, said ok, then passed me a few more cards. After a few days, I got off my absent-brain and handed them to K to draw. And this is what she did.

Rainbow and balloons

The cards are still with me, and I'm looking for the opportunity to hand the cards back to the lady/anyone from that organisation so that K's drawing can be rightfully handed over. 

The best bit will be when someone at the home receives these drawings and feel happy. 
The better bit? K asked me today if I had handed the drawings to the "old people. they see already?" 
I love how sweet she is and how simple her life is, where rainbows and balloons make her happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment