Thursday, September 18, 2014

Kate (really) turns 5

So the day rolled along, with the not-so-little one waking up in excitement, knowing that it was her day. She's on the cusp of understanding days and counting down to the days she looks forward to and she knew, oh she knew 17th of September.

She requested to her darling Papa if she could wear her (current) favourite Elsa dress to school and I would have said "no" (I know, Mommy, always the party pooper); but he said "yes" and I allowed him to indulge her. After all, it's hard to knock down a statement as simple yet powerful as "you are the most special girl today."

Never seen her so enthusiastic to prepare for school before, she was dressed and ready a whole 30(!) minutes before pick-up. & so, there were some moments of peace and quiet when I could observe her.

Oh, you beautiful child of mine. Look at how big you are now. This year, you're fanatical about Frozen and that's you in your preferred costume of the day along with your Elsa Queen. You are working quietly at (princess of course, what else) jigsaw puzzles and this was something you just picked up in the last year. Oh, how much you have grown, sweetheart.

We sent Kate off to school and while she was at school, we prepared to bring the celebration to her. She was so anxious/excited that she asked us countless times "you are coming to my school, later?"

This sight greeted us when we arrived at school.
The teacher finished off story-telling and allowed us to set up the cake.

Close-up of her (final!) Frozen cake for this year.
SFX, Class Charity B - with the form teacher (Teacher Evon) and all her friends. Oh, and Jake. Hah.

They all sang her the birthday song in English & Chinese and Jake blew out half her candles before she blew out the rest on her own. This little girl suffered from some form of anxiety attack and covered her eyes when everyone sang her birthday song. It's as if she was overwhelmed by shyness and expressed it in this odd way - I see this as a sign of her becoming more conscious; oh how I wish I could take away all forms of awkwardness and discomfort but truly, she needs to overcome and deal with these emotions on her own. Sigh - parenting is tough. 

Anyhow, we distributed goodies in the form of Frozen (on theme) pencil cases and lanyards - I know, where are the candies?! Truly, I always trash the candy when she gets any so I hoped to give something more practical. I know, I know, again Mommy the party pooper but since I arranged it all, I get to choose! And hey. They got to consume chocolate cake already. 

Here's one of Princess with her bestie in class, Meisha.
Jake getting comfy, all settled in within the class
One of K with her group mates. (From L-R), K, Erica, Ashlynn, Queenie, Meisha.
We finished the day with sushi with the MIL, back home to snooze, then chicken rice for dinner as requested for by the birthday girl.

Honestly, it didn't feel that much different from a regular day - perhaps because I was spent with all the pre-birthday birthdays already. But it mattered that the girl felt happy and knew that we all loved her with every bit of what we have. How different the kids look compared to last year.

Happy 5th birthday, my princess. I love you with all my heart, and so much more. 

1 comment:

  1. so part of our family, check out HER HAIR !
    hahaha
    (the part that is most like me :P)

    ReplyDelete