Monday, March 7, 2016

Earning $13.90

Two weeks ago, the kids and I were at the supermarket. I used to join these Sunday breakfast-cum-supermarket-runs more often, then I felt that the time was better spent if I didn't go. It's a win-win (to me anyway) because (1) the children get full attention of their grandparents and (2) I get anything I want done in this precious window period of up to 2 hours. Anyway, I digress. So on this particular Sunday, I went because I needed to run some errands.
 
The children were being themselves, making themselves a semi-permanent fixture in the toys section and the very familiar whines "I want to buy xxxxx" was soon heard - no surprise there. I do not typically buy toys for the children. They have enough as is, and I do prefer to reserve toys and shopping for special occasions, making the occasions, well, special. So when they pleaded to buy a toy, I naturally rejected their plea. I knew the grandmother may cave, so after thinking it through, I decided to let them buy it - on my terms.
 
I decided that they could pay for it in forms of (1) errands, (2) savings that K has from the daily pocket money. I startted by drawing up a chart outlining tasks that the kids could easily accomplish. Each task would earn them 20cents. The guitar that they truly wanted was a guitar (well, more a plastic ukelele) that cost $13.90.
 
 Daily, I will ask the helper and the MIL what the children accomplished. I'd tabulate the points earned and note down how much they earned in monetary sense.
 
Accounting for $13.90

As Kate did not spend too much money this particular week, she had a lot of savings she could contribute to the purchase of the guitar. Within 2 weeks, the sale was complete.
 
The guitar, the savings, the tabulation sheet
 
I was pleased with this exercise. I'm not sure how much J understood of it - probably not entirely, because he still asked me on 2 random occasions where his money was and I tried to tell him that the money was given to me and he was earning the money through accomplishing tasks. K was more aware of what was going on, and she actively told me she had "a lot of savings" as she didn't spend any.
 
This exercise motivated them to achieve their daily tasks, and they would practically declare their achivements - this demonstrates that motivation truly works. I rather enjoyed implementing it - I think in some way, it must teach them some form of patience, earning their stripes and hopefully, treasure. Or at the very least, know that not everything comes to them just because they want it.
 
What a good lesson learnt (for both the children and I), and some thoughts on this exercise:
1) I need to follow through if I want to start the task - some days, I forgot to tabulate the errands but I think I did more good than not. But a worthwhile reminder to self nonetheless.
 
2) Need to explain the concept of earning through errands more - I think K gets it, but I think there's definitely room for better understanding with the younger boy
 
3) Team work - I have said it to them but I'm not sure how much they got, that they both earned the guitar together as a team. Both of them contributed - whether it was in terms of money (from K) or errands (both).
 
4) There is potential to teach the children more of this. I shall find ways that I can educate them the same value of earning/things don't come easy through other forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment